Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#261869  by Dylanchris73

Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Ahh, the old days!

#262078  by pennsy

Hi,

Did you make the last trip of the Redbirds ? A cousin of mine did, he works for the MTA. He told me it was an incredible experience. Large crowds at the stations, lots of well wishers, etc. etc.

#262080  by chuchubob

pennsy wrote:Hi,

Did you make the last trip of the Redbirds ? A cousin of mine did, he works for the MTA. He told me it was an incredible experience. Large crowds at the stations, lots of well wishers, etc. etc.
Because of congestion on the 7 train, I missed the last trip of the Redbirds. I was at the railfan window of the following train, so I got a good view of the last trip.

#262105  by Robert Paniagua

Oh yeah, you bet I miss the A division "Elevated" Redbirds. I remember my first ride on them in 1989 and I got to ride the Line 7 cars as well with the Subway Series ad painted.

FYI I also miss the B Division "Tunnel" Redbirds, I rode on them in 1990/91 along the C when it went to Rockaway Park. Not to mention my only R10 C Train ride ever on April 17, 1989!!

#262141  by Love Train

pennsy wrote:Hi,

Nah, unfortunately I didn't. I live in DC, and with school and summer trips, I unfortunately do not get the chance to visit the city I love as much as I wish. :(

#262172  by pennsy

Hi All,

While the Redbirds were really nice subway cars, my major experience is with the Black cars used on the IRT in the fifties. These had trailers, unpowered cars, had three doors on each side, seating along the sides of the car only, usually wicker, and individual bare light bulbs to light the car. These light bulbs were interesting because they had a left hand thread and so would not fit into a light socket in your home. Call that light bulb theft proof. No air conditioning, but hugh ceiling fans that did their best in the hot summer months. Used these cars to commute to and from school all through the schooling and college years. Anyone know what these cars were called or designated ???

#262596  by alchemist

Pennsy-
You take me back to my high-school years when I dated a girl in Scarsdale. I used to ride those cars from Brooklyn Bridge to Grand Central. Talk about flying low! :-D
The cars were original IRT equipment, so they didn't have Transit Authority-style "R" contract numbers. Railfans usually call them Lo-V (for low voltage) cars because the controllers didn't carry high voltage. An older class of cars did have high voltage in the controllers. They're called Hi-V, natch.