Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#153521  by F40

1. When would B trains make their way down to Coney Island? I saw one R42 B train headed there this afternoon.

2. Why are there four tracks at Ocean Parkway on the Q?

3. At Brighton Beach on the outbound platform, the black overhead sign still exists that says the D goes to CI from there. Someone (transit worker maybe) used some yellow string paint and wrote Q over the D instead. Is this sign opted to be replaced?

4. IIRC just west of Brighton Beach, there is a small sign alongside the tracks that says "Steady Rolling..." ? What is this for? It is just before the curve left out of the station when going Manhattan-bound.

#153547  by 7 Train

1. The trains continue beyond Brighton Beach to access CI yard.

2. Layup tracks

3. The route bullets (not the whole sign itself) will most likely be changed

#153566  by 4 Express

7 Train wrote:1. The trains continue beyond Brighton Beach to access CI yard.

2. Layup tracks

3. The route bullets (not the whole sign itself) will most likely be changed
The B does not use the center 2 tracks at Ocean Parkway to lay-up, either they go south of Brighton (but north of Ocean) to lay-up or they use the crossover tracks north of Brighton Beach to lay-up, I think B service should just might as well go to Ocean Parkway.

#153621  by Allan

2. This dates back to the BRT/BMT days when they had different types of service to/from Coney Island. Brighton Express trains did not terminate at Brighton Beach, they continued on to CI with the trains using those tracks.

If you look just south of Ocean Parkway (just past where the local track join the express) you will see that there is a portion of the structure that ramps downward. Brighton express trains would be routed to the current N platform but Brighton local trains might sometimes be routed to the lower level of W8th (where the Culver line comes in) and terminate at the current F platform. The BRT/BMT had offered different types of service to its riders. In the later years (after the City took over the BMT) the ramp was eventually discontinued having the local tracks merge as thety currently do.

The last time those tracks were probably in regular evenue service was in the late 1960's when NX service (Sea Beach Express) terminating at Ocean Parkway ran.

3. I would guess that the adhesive on the Q bullet was defective and it fell off (or was pulled off). All they really need to do is paste another one over the D bullet. No need to redo the entire sign.
 #153696  by Alex L.

F40 wrote:1. When would B trains make their way down to Coney Island? I saw one R42 B train headed there this afternoon.
A few should head that way right after the morning rush; most will head that way in the late evening, as B service winds down for the night. If you see one at any other time, it most likely has a problem and is heading straight for the barn.
F40 wrote:4. IIRC just west of Brighton Beach, there is a small sign alongside the tracks that says "Steady Rolling..." ? What is this for? It is just before the curve left out of the station when going Manhattan-bound.
It says "Sensitive Rolling test required when leaving this location". Since the middle two tracks at brighton Beach are terminal tracks, this sign is to remind the T/Os to do all their brake tests.

#154380  by F40

Also, wasn't the N supposed to reach Coney Island by last Feb?

#154424  by Robert Paniagua

I think the N has already began servicing all the way down to Coney Island. I don't believe the N is still coming out of service at 86th Street like before. Next time I go down and railfan there, I will patronize the open-cut N to see for myself.

#154449  by F40

According to the 2005 Map (which includes service changes as of Feb) the N still terminates at 86 St. And when I rode the Q into Coney Island on Monday, I don't recall seeing a single N train.

#154463  by 4 Express

F40 wrote:According to the 2005 Map (which includes service changes as of Feb) the N still terminates at 86 St. And when I rode the Q into Coney Island on Monday, I don't recall seeing a single N train.
Um it does go to Coney Island, and I think there's a new May version availible.

#154503  by Allan

4 Express wrote:
F40 wrote:According to the 2005 Map (which includes service changes as of Feb) the N still terminates at 86 St. And when I rode the Q into Coney Island on Monday, I don't recall seeing a single N train.
Um it does go to Coney Island, and I think there's a new May version availible.
The N does go to Coney Island and there is a May 2005 edition of The Map (in both Regular and Multilingual versions).

#154806  by F40

So the one the booth attendant at Bergen St gave to me this past Monday wasn't stocked on the newest maps? (He gave me Feb 2005)

#154824  by 4 Express

F40 wrote:So the one the booth attendant at Bergen St gave to me this past Monday wasn't stocked on the newest maps? (He gave me Feb 2005)
Yes.