Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#147053  by Tommy Meehan

This is a serious question.

Over the past month or so I've caught an uptown No.1 train from the W.23rd St station several times, usually late in the evening. Since I'm headed for the shuttle at Times Sq I like to get on the head car (usually several other people do this too at 23rd St.). Lately there's been a mound of plastic garbage bags heaped at the north end of the uptown platform. I don't like to get too close since I'm worried about rats. I stay a couple car lengths down the platform. (I notice other people seem to have the same concern.) It's a real concern. The other night I saw huge rats entering and exiting the bags. Several of the bags were "moving". My question-

I assume these bags are left at the end of the platform for pickup by the garbage train. How in the world do the employees pick up these bags without getting bitten?

#147092  by Allan

In general the rats will scatter when the crew comes near.

#147144  by Tommy Meehan

The rats can tell the difference between a regular subway train and the garbage train? LOL

Seriously, how about the rats inside the bag? How do the crews know when they lift it they're not going to get bit? Do they wear protective gear?

#147370  by Allan

The crew wear heavy gloves when lifting those bags. They probably make some noise before they get to the bags of garbage.

I doubt if the rats know the difference but they do scatter as people get closer or if they hear very loud noises.

#147414  by Tommy Meehan

Allan thanks but it sounds like you're just guessing. The rats scatter when people approach? Reread my original post please.

I was hoping there might be a Transit employee lurking who could supply the real deal.

#147453  by Allan

Of course I am guessing. I don't make a habit of riding the subway at that hour when the garbage is picked up.

But I can tell you from personal experinance that the rats do scatter if someone comes near where they are (no wisecracks please).

#147465  by Tommy Meehan

Allan I'm tempted to invite you to accompany me to the north end of the 7th Ave Line's W.23rd Street uptown platform some night about 11 PM and you can demonstrate to me how the rats scatter when you approach. LOL You bring a cell phone to call EMS and I'll bring a first aid kit.

Seriously, here's what your not getting. These black plastic bags are the big kind. Like 55 gallon size. The way they were gyrating there were obviously b-i-g rats inside them. Deep inside them. You're obviously lucky enough not to have much experience with rats. But from my experience, I think once they get inside something they usually stay put. Unless you force them out. Like picking up the bag, for instance. And when they do exit they're gonna be po'd.

Btw, I've been meaning to ask -do they put the bags at the end of the platform for pickup by a work train (aka garbage train)? Do they still do that?
 #147872  by Kurt

The trash train is still in operation. Yes, the crews often bang the dumpsters nearby and make lots of noise to get the rats to move, and if nedded will kick the bags, or hit them with a broom. About a month ago, really late at nite I saw a bunch of old redbirds, with windows removed, and replaced with wire mesh. There were small yellow stickers on the cars (about 3 cars), that said "Refuse Collection Car".

#147878  by Tommy Meehan

Man oh man, thanks Kurt. I don't know how much those crews are being paid but what ever it is it's not enough.

#148408  by Allan

You know Tommy, I find it amazing I mention that the crews make noise when they get ready to pick up the bags and you don't believe me. Yet when Kurt mentions it you believe him.

I have had some minor experiences with rats on the subway. I found that if you make a loud enough noise (even just stepping down hard) - they run. No matter where they are.

I don't make it a habit to go where the rats might be hanging out.