Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#146742  by Dylanchris73

What is the purpose of the Z train? It only runs an hour in the morning and one in the afternoon. This line should go by way of the 9 and disapper.[/b]

#146845  by 7 Train

IIRC, it actually has better ridership than the 9.

#146896  by arrow

Well most railroads operate express trains during the rush hours only so it makes sense in that respect. I guess the line doesn't have enough off-peak ridership to warrant the skip-stop service all the time. That and the fact that the tracks/stations are not setup to have a dedicated express line going through there currently. I'm sure those who take advantage of the Z are happy that it runs.

#521465  by keithsy

This was the cruelest hoaxes ever played by Howard Benn and his planners. I expected some real fast running, the way it was done in the Windy City. It was not.

#521568  by Kamen Rider

The 9 was only removed becuase the ridership patters on the north end of broadway changed, to the point where the 9 was no longer effective. the IRT began to suffer from passenger boarding at a 1 only stop and wanting a 9 only stop or vice versa. Basicly 168th was getting a little crowed and thats not good for a station 100 feet down.

The J and Z's traffic is mostly peak direction and transfer points. The J/Z are an effective set up, which is why we still have the Z. It worked in the past, the line had skip stop service from 1959 to 1977 when service past Queens Blvd was cut. It was put back the day the Archer line opened.

yes it only runs for an hour, but it's giveing hundrids of people in that hour a quicker ride (acutally it's much more than one hour. Z trains normaly put in from ENY, run reverse peak local to the terminal, then run skipstop, then deadhead back). the average train holds a good 2-3 thousand people.

#521596  by RearOfSignal

The 9 was one of my favorite lines, don't know why though. Even today I still call the Broadway Local "The 1&9" sort of like bacon & eggs.