Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#127700  by pgengler

Riding between Newark and Hoboken today, I noticed something that looked very much like a semaphore on the right side of the WTC-bound track, just past the bridge over the Hackensack River (and not far past one of the signals beyond the bridge ... 74Z I believe, but I'm not certain). The 'arm' was all white, and the end was basically a circle (larger than the rest of it). It was at an angle between straight out and straight up.
I can't imagine it's being used, but it seems like a strange thing to have around.

#127786  by metman499

I am fairly certain that this is a smash board. It lowers itself into the path of the train when the signal is red and the act of hitting the board serves as notice to the motorman that he has run a signal.
Last edited by metman499 on Tue May 31, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #132159  by Terry Kennedy

pgengler wrote:Riding between Newark and Hoboken today, I noticed something that looked very much like a semaphore on the right side of the WTC-bound track, just past the bridge over the Hackensack River (and not far past one of the signals beyond the bridge ... 74Z I believe, but I'm not certain). The 'arm' was all white, and the end was basically a circle (larger than the rest of it). It was at an angle between straight out and straight up.
I can't imagine it's being used, but it seems like a strange thing to have around.
If you're referring to what I think you are, it indicates rail continuity across the lift bridge.

#134948  by Don31

Yep, they're smashboards.

#135067  by pgengler

Thanks for the answers, all ... in any case, it certainly looked rather strange to see it, though maybe that's just me.