Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#892740  by brettj22

Train 949 today didn't have its usual maxi-bomb equipment today and we had to switch to the upper harlem mini at Southeast. At the northern most vestibule behind the BL-20gh there was a foot plus of snow accumulation, and when I got off the train I saw it all over the control panel... Does accumulation like this cause problems? I've never seen it that bad in a maxi-bomb vestibule.
 #892803  by Steamboat Willie

Yes, during times like these snow accumulation in the vestibules, more importantly the steps are a problem. It's also a pain when the traps are iced.

About 949, the NHV is down a considerable amount of cars for service. Perhaps the RR felt that set was needed for service on the NHV line. I'm only guessing here, but it has been evident the past few days a lot of trains are being substituted for bomb trains that are normally covered by EMUs.
 #892808  by Clean Cab

They should replace the diaprams between the cars to be more like the ones used by Amtrak's Amfleet cars. They may not be perfect, but they keep a lot more snow out of the vestibules.
 #892815  by DutchRailnut

they are also way more expensive, and do they keep out snow or does car door on amfleets keep snow out
Amfleets have a inner door and a car end door.
 #892872  by FL9AC

It's logical that the vestibule behind the BL20GH was full of snow...what does this scenario have different from a maxi-bomb vestibule?? The BL20GH isn't a full carbody unit like a genesis or the FL-9's so any precipitation/leaves coming down swoop around the locomotive and into the wide open vestibule behind the engine...TADA!!! The only problem this causes is slipping hazard, but hopefully anyone leaving that vestibule at least has the common sense to watch their step and cautiously enter/exit ;). When train is laying over maintenance crews should sweep whatever is in that first vestibule out between runs to alleviate any potential danger. If you take a look at vestibules between two bomb cars the snow accumulation is minor...just what is swirling around under the cars and up around the buffer plates.
 #892910  by DutchRailnut

When the Genesis was being ordered, I suggested to have Bombardier type rubber bellows installed on them just to keep snow out.
Someone with a bigger title and less knowledge thought it was a silly Idea.
Yet every train with FL-9 or F10 or combo of such had to lock out vestibule next to engines just because of snow and leaves in fall.
 #893098  by brettj22

I wish I had snapped a photo. It definately looked like it could have used a clearing out. Then again, usually the head car in the upper Harlem mini is closed and was only "opened" by the large crowd having to transfer that usually has a though train. I was surprised to find the door unlocked to the vestibule because it most certainly couldn't have been used. (The walkways on the exterior of the BL-20gh also appeared to be quite treacherous...)
 #893160  by DutchRailnut

the sliding doors on bombardiers can not be locked,guts were removed years ago , doe to evacuation rules.
what does amaze me is that it won't be taking long to see some nitwit climb over the pile of snow on his way in or out of train.
 #893356  by brettj22

Fortunately the train was still set up for shuttle operation and the first car was not opening. One person opened the door and thought better of it when the snow was drifted about two feet up against the interior sliding door...
 #894674  by Darien Red Sox

The other night the conductor on my train announced that the door at the locomotive end of the first car would not be opening due to snow accumulation in the vestibule. He announced it a few times but I am sure someone stood in the pile of snow wondering why the door wasn't opening.
 #894818  by truck6018

Darien Red Sox wrote:The other night the conductor on my train announced that the door at the locomotive end of the first car would not be opening.....
Unfortunately the conductors can make announcements until they're blue in the face. That doesn't stop the morons from trying to do what they want. A popular one this time of year is the center doors not opening on the bom cars. Some conductors announce multiple times as the train arrives at every station and idiots still wonder why the doors aren't opening.
 #894865  by Darien Red Sox

truck6018 wrote:
Darien Red Sox wrote:The other night the conductor on my train announced that the door at the locomotive end of the first car would not be opening.....
Unfortunately the conductors can make announcements until they're blue in the face. That doesn't stop the morons from trying to do what they want. A popular one this time of year is the center doors not opening on the bom cars. Some conductors announce multiple times as the train arrives at every station and idiots still wonder why the doors aren't opening.
One time when I was going to New Canaan there was a woman on the train who started cursing at the conductor when she found out the train did not go to Bridgeport, it was announced multiple times that it was a New Canaan bound train and people would need to transfer if they wanted service to New Haven. Another time a conductor told a guy at Stamford that it was more expensive to buy a ticket on the train, he told the guy to go up to the station to buy the ticket and then take the express train to Bridgeport that was across the platform and that that train would get him there faster than this train. He got on the train anyway and then started arguing with the conductor about paying the extra fair, after a good number of 4 letter words were exchanged between the two the guy paid the extra fair and started complaining to other passengers who just shook there heads at him.
 #895386  by Tadman

Amen to that...

Reminds me of the time a while back I rode a newly minted express train, where the conductor noted we would skip certain stops and that local passengers were encouraged to get off and ride the following (10 minute later) train. He must've said this twenty to thirty times, including at stations prior to the express zone. Sure enough, we stop at a local station a few minutes later, albeit briefly. Turns out a lady found out we should skip her stop, and she barged into the cab and demanded the motorman stop the train at her stop.

We did stop, and the crew ensured she had a limo waiting for her. The kind of limo with flashing lights and a blue stripe.