Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#415616  by Jeff Smith

I agree on Danbury electrification - too expensive for too little benefit. I only mention it as it was an option in study. So it doesn't look like they'll be needed except as a fleet reserve, maybe Yankee Stadium like the 1's, since they won't be used in branch service.

Thanks for the answer, Dutch.

#415667  by Otto Vondrak

They haven't even tooled up for the M-8's, and you're already wondering what they're going to do with the M-2's? Call me in 2009, and we'll talk. :-)

-otto-

#415748  by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:They haven't even tooled up for the M-8's, and you're already wondering what they're going to do with the M-2's? Call me in 2009, and we'll talk. :-)

-otto-
Call me "forward thinking" LOL. Hey, in a world where everything runs through years of study, EIS, etc., they must have some idea, right? Maybe I'm hoping they end up on Ozark Mountain Rail Car so I can bid on one. :P ALthough I'd rather own a washboard 4400(?).

Besides, I like Dutch's reality checks. If it's cheaper to order push-pull for service expansions than demotorization, than more "power" to them.

#415995  by Clean Cab

Current planning is to phase out all M2s as soon as enough M8s are placed into service. The last M2s to be retired will be the "Bar Cars". Assuming the delivery of M8s is and stays on schedule the last M2 should be retired by 2013.

#416016  by L'mont

capecodlocoguy wrote:Current planning is to phase out all M2s as soon as enough M8s are placed into service. The last M2s to be retired will be the "Bar Cars". Assuming the delivery of M8s is and stays on schedule the last M2 should be retired by 2013.
Almost 45 years later............those things don't owe'em nothin'

#416020  by Jeff Smith

That's surprising, I figured they'd at least keep the M-2's that had been through CSR. They're supposed to be good for another 10 yrs, why not run them until they die?

#416168  by TacSupport1

I hope Danbury Rail Museum gets a set of the M-2's.

That would be the perfect place to host them.

#416292  by Clean Cab

Don't believe all the hype about how good the "CSR" cars are. Yes, they have new motors, brakes ect. But they are still a 40 year old design and they are hardly efficient operators. Anyone who runs on the New Haven line can tell you the CSR pairs are better than non CSR pairs, but that ain't saying much!!!

#416310  by kitn1mcc

i would love to get a set in essex even as a static display

#416321  by DutchRailnut

Saving a Electric MU is counter productive for museums, it cost a lot of money to maintain and no change to ever run it again.
just for numbers it would cost $5000 per car to maintain track and car.
for what ?? to display, a model would do just fine.
To run, not gone happen since the cars would need to be maintained for airbrake purpose and cab signal which may be absolete by time car gets restored.

Museums have hard enough time to scrape up money for movable objects, stationairy is wasting resources.
 #416323  by H.F.Malone

"i would love to get a set in essex even as a static display"

You're kidding, right? Do you seriously think ANYONE in VRR management would consider that for even half a second? Having a dream is nice, but that's really "out there", Kit.

DRN is correct, represent the place in railroad history those transistorized Spam cans occupied, by use of a couple of nice models. And it won't be at Essex.
 #417180  by CannaScrews

If memory serves me right, there is 1 xNH parlour car #5111 at the RMNE & DRM has a 4xxx combine of the same type. Both are inoperable on their own power - the mercury filled ignitron rectifiers have long been removed.

I don't think that any of the old NH muts have been saved - even though there was a trailer unit in Stamford about 15 years ago.

NYC 1100s? Don't think any were saved.

M2s ?? You could probably not worry about the cab signals - where are you going to operate them anyway? But the systems are wickedy complex - the electical cabinets hanging below the frame are chock full of relays, wiring, circutry - who is going to maintain that?

Then there is the toilet question - do you really want to go there.

How about 600 VDC if you can't get 14,000 VAC.

Maybe one of he trolley museums is a little more capable of handling the cars - just slap a trolley pole on & off you go.....

And - the spear-type couplers - you need an adapter for a regular knucke type.

I would seriously doubt that MNCR is even considering using retired M2s as work cars as were the other MUs.

As Jimi Hendrix once said - "Dream on, dream on".
 #509269  by Clean Cab

Word has it that several M2s that have long languished in the "Bone Yard" in New Haven are going to be picked clean for parts, then sent out to be scrapped. Two M2s (8808 & 8535) were dragged out the Bone Yard yeasterday (2/27) and hauled to Stamford Yard. It seems that some of the cars in the Bone Yard are so severly damaged that they are beyond rebuilding or repair. Some have been out of service for almost 5 years now.

#509400  by FL9AC

that pair dragged out yesturday, the M6 single car (track 45), and the other M2 single car from the Stamford derailment about two years back will be taken on flat cars after being picked clean and scrapped.

#509404  by Clean Cab

I can't believe that MN would scrap an M6!! I know it was involved in a severe derailment in GCT a few years back, but it was my understanding that it would be repaired by the heavy repair shop in Stamford. I guess some took another look at it and decided it wasn't worth saving. Too bad, it's just over 10 years old.