Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1069111  by Autoblock

Actually hard to believe this area hasnt been fenced off yet, people still walk thru there alot the only legal way to cross is to go underneath the old Erie overpass. I remember as a child running over to that yard whenever i heard a whistle to see what was up. Even had the oppurtunity with a couple of other children to climb aboard the lead power of a westbound Conrail freight when the engineer asked if we wanted to check it out!!! ( Obviously before passenger trains flooded the yard, only a few NJT's) Wow how times have changed, and im not even that old!! I would imagine it is patrolled now.
 #1069563  by MTASUPT

When the yard project (adding two tracks) gets funded, part of the funding is for fencing. Both sides of the tracks from the main street bridge to the underpass east of the station.
 #1069564  by MTASUPT

That time of year again. Starting September 24th - Tie replacement project. Bus service between Port Jervis and Harriman, will be making connections with trains at Harriman. Weekday, off peak trains 58,62,64,66 - 43,45,49 will be covered by bus service.

Tie replacement will pick up where they left off in the spring (just west of Middletown) down to east end of Moodna. Will be doing the controlled sidings Harriman to Valley, HJ to Hall also.

Some point during this six to seven week outage there will be a weekend continous outage for the switch at Valley.
 #1069590  by MTASUPT

The kick off meeting is Tuesday 8/7. Startup around mid Sept.
 #1069736  by R36 Combine Coach

MTASUPT wrote:When the yard project (adding two tracks) gets funded, part of the funding is for fencing. Both sides of the tracks from the main street bridge to the underpass east of the station.
What about building a simple pedestrian crossing at the station?
 #1070126  by SecaucusJunction

Ahh so its probably time to get the last shots of the old Erie signals. Do you happen to know if all the existing signals will be torn down? Just curious. Glad to see they are really fixing up the line to higher standards and the NYSW is going to have to fix their engines up too. Don't think they'd want to run with NJT leading engines every day. Hopefully this means more trains at some point. The line is already in better shape now that I have ever seen it in my lifetime.
 #1070248  by MTASUPT

Probably in sections beginning from SF - NJ. Will keep all posted. Want to see more trains running especially between 49-51 and 66-68
 #1070434  by portjervisnycom

Here are some links that may be useful. BTW, while not encouraging breaking the law, I've never heard of anyone being arrested for walking around the PJ yards or even getting a warning.

http://portjervisny.com/fr-2007.new.trains.htm

http://portjervisny.com/fr-turntable.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvpJIqcgMQ
 #1070616  by lilbluefoxie

RearOfSignal wrote:Approach lit signals; the signal remains off until a train is on the circuit leading to the signal. Saves energy and bulbs.
so if the light is off, its equivilent to the signal indication for go, and then when its on it obviously means stop since its a red light.