Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1076062  by DutchRailnut

usually not in summer time, cause they short the catenary on MNCR in summer, when wire gets droopy
 #1076068  by NH2060

IIRC they, along with the P40s, are due for some sort of refurbishment/rebuild and I believe the funding is there to do it. WHEN they'll get around to doing it is anybody's guess :-P
 #1076081  by shadyjay

Rode behind #6697 on July 27. Also saw at least one other GP40-2H on another train. So they do run them during the summer. Most likely what Dutch is referring to is that they don't run them on the thru trains which go to Bridgeport and Stamford, but they are alive and kicking year-round east of NHV.
 #1076188  by DutchRailnut

non of them are out of service, but SLE has 6 P40's and 6 GP40-2h and only 4 engines are used daily.
 #1076212  by ChrisU

Oh,yeah that makes sense,especially since the P40s probably don't guzzle as much diesel and are most likely more reliable than the Geeps.
 #1076233  by Clean Cab

I've seen the GP-40's used as a yard switcher in New Haven a few times.
 #1076307  by DutchRailnut

Hmm that would be a problem now, the GP40-2h only has cab signal/atc on front end. that really would make a joke out of rule that in all yards cab signal/atc must be cut in (to enforce restricted speed).
with no recievers at B end that would allow for ludicrous speed .. just sayin.
 #1076315  by Clean Cab

I've seen it done several times. Picture to follow.
Last edited by Clean Cab on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1076447  by ATK

CDOT uses 6 sets of equipment, not 4 as previously mentioned. 6696 ran all last week in revenue service. Friday morning's line up had that engine on the 9700/1621 turn.
 #1076727  by kitn1mcc

NJTArrow2 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:non of them are out of service, but SLE has 6 P40's and 6 GP40-2h and only 4 engines are used daily.
Oh,yeah that makes sense,especially since the P40s probably don't guzzle as much diesel and are most likely more reliable than the Geeps.

the geeps to run alot cleaner than the p40 i have seen them in use daily
 #1076813  by DutchRailnut

Just because their visually cleaner, does not make them less of a poluter.
the 2 stroke EMD is known source of toxics in air, the 4 stroke GE produces visual smoke or Carbon but lot less toxins.