Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#510722  by Jeff Smith

:( Geez Otto I would hope I would have distinguished myself from your ordinary foamers by now! :wink:

Remember, I foam responsibly, some of the others just like to argue........ :-D

...or hijack threads!
 #807562  by 7express

Local New York - Stamford
Express to Stamford, local to Bridgeport.
Express to Bridgeport, local to New Haven.

If the service was staggered into three segments, would they simply combine the number o trains? There's a finite number of employees and equipment available, after all.
---------------------------------

I know this is almost 2 years old, but it was linked on the Metro Center topic. The NH line does something like this right around Christmas and New Years. From about 12-4, the trains are broken up as follows:

:57 to New Haven. Stops at Stamford, Bridgeport then local to New Haven so the main express run.
:01 to Bridgeport. Runs express to SoNo (South Norwalk) then goes local to Bridgeport.
:07 & :34 to New Haven, regular runs as on the weekends. :34 stops at Greenwich, :07 bypasses Greenwich goes directly to Stamford.

I wish that would be our regular weekday schedule but unfortuntely too little equipment. I can always dream when we get the M8's I might see that schedule.
 #807625  by theozno

7express wrote:Local New York - Stamford
Express to Stamford, local to Bridgeport.
Express to Bridgeport, local to New Haven.

If the service was staggered into three segments, would they simply combine the number o trains? There's a finite number of employees and equipment available, after all.
---------------------------------

I know this is almost 2 years old, but it was linked on the Metro Center topic. The NH line does something like this right around Christmas and New Years. From about 12-4, the trains are broken up as follows:

:57 to New Haven. Stops at Stamford, Bridgeport then local to New Haven so the main express run.
:01 to Bridgeport. Runs express to SoNo (South Norwalk) then goes local to Bridgeport.
:07 & :34 to New Haven, regular runs as on the weekends. :34 stops at Greenwich, :07 bypasses Greenwich goes directly to Stamford.

I wish that would be our regular weekday schedule but unfortuntely too little equipment. I can always dream when we get the M8's I might see that schedule.
Could a conductor do a carry back request with the new machines which were not as available in 2008 with my (original comments) for no additional fee? ie Old Greenwich to Stamford to catch the express. it is $3.50-$4.50 more based on one way fare (2.25 to stamford then the additional $1.25 if you do stm GCT).... I have a monthly right now Danbury TO Greenwich Zone so I can jump on any train at the moment.
 #807748  by theozno

I was going from Old Greenwich to Danbury Tonight 6362 was nice comfy ride (the 840pm stamford local weekend). got to stamford to go on 6562 9:07 to new haven) It Standing room only From Stamford To South Norwalk. Glad I did not have my bike I would not have been allowed to have it. It was Packed in the front car. It does make me wonder why can't metro North can't extend some of the locals from Stamford to South Norwalk to get rid of some of the slack... maybe dutch could shed some light
Last edited by theozno on Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #807760  by 7express

Yah Oz that 9:07 is always crowded. Its always amaziing to me how the 9:07 on Sunday is packed, or the 7:53 on Saturday is SRO first 3 cars, but the 8:13 during the week is a ghost train past Stamford. The last time I was on it (4th from the front) after Stamford there were no more then 20 people in the car.

Probably yard issues why they can't expand. Unless on the rare occasion (train OOS), all the locals from Cos Cob have gone into the yard after Stamford. 2 problems with extending the locals:

1) Nobody going to SoNo would get on it anyways, so its pointless to send it there. Granted, the express might be crowded, but at least SoNo and Darien people are getting off relatively quickly. If I lived there I'd get on a crowded express for a 60 minute ride then sit on a local for almost an hour and 20 minutes.

2) Once it got to Norwalk, it would have to backtrack back down to Stamford (unless they sent it to Bridgeport or New Haven) so that means the engineer has to walk to the back of the train, and they have to cut across 2 or 3 tracks for the return down to Stamford.
 #807811  by DutchRailnut

MNCR can't do a thing in Connecticut , unless CDOT wants it and is willing to pay for it.