Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1312272  by Bill D

runningwithscalpels wrote:(from the Danbury Branch Improvements and Study thread) It's not only politicians, I went to another one of those Waterbury service is awful, let's rally meetings last night in Naugatuck and 5 people were screaming for electrification of the branch because they think that because they got charged the fare hike for the M8's, they should get to ride them here - and they think that M8's would solve all the problems....and they think that this should happen before passing sidings OR signalization. I get that their prime concern is "my commute sucks now, the train breaks down, the crews complain about the diesels, so why doesn't the railroad string wires so we can use the shiny new stuff because everyone else gets to use them too." but people in general who have zero idea how a railroad works seem to think that electrification is the cure-all.

Someone did bring up Danbury electrification last night too, I believe either the CDOT or MNRR representative's response (I forget which one gave it) was something to the effect of "You'll see passing sidings on the Waterbury before you see wires in Danbury"
One person seemed to think there was a conspiracy going on, wanting to know what happened to all the diesels that were replaced by the M8's. (really!)

One point that Mr. Donnarumma made was that the 3 mini sets used for the Waterbury and Danbury rotation work 14 to 20+ hours per day, leaving minimal time for daily maintenance. While having an extra train set or two for backup would be beneficial, it comes with a hefty pricetag - around $1.1 million per locomotive plus additional costs if more coaches were included.

As for electrification, I believe that the studies done for CDOT indicated time savings of a minute or two at the most. And if all the diesels were to be eliminated, what happens when the electrical system fails? We've seen it happen and I'm sure it will happen again.

Waterbury branch service will improve, but not as fast as people would like.

Bill
 #1312282  by runningwithscalpels

Let's not forget the narcissists who think the deadheading train from Stamford to Bridgeport should still pick them up, even though it was explained three different ways that it would tie up FIVE OTHER trains with 800-1000 people on board each of those trains and that the needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few.
 #1312358  by Bill D

runningwithscalpels wrote:Let's not forget the narcissists who think the deadheading train from Stamford to Bridgeport should still pick them up, even though it was explained three different ways that it would tie up FIVE OTHER trains with 800-1000 people on board each of those trains and that the needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few.
This was brought up at a prior meeting. Metro North looked into it and determined that it was not feasible. And sadly, I expect that the subject will come up again in future forums. Some of these people will just never understand the logistics of running the railroad safely and efficiently.

Bill
 #1341970  by Jeff Smith

Wow, 16 pages of Waterbury Stuff! I saw an article, so I did a search, and merged some threads of similar vein. Gives kind of a history.

Anyway, here's the article: Republican-American

More behind the pay wall, so the remaining quote is fair-use. If anyone subscribes, please only add a relevant paragraph or two. Or find a better source.
More trains to be possible
Metro-North adding signals, sidings for 2-way traffic on Waterbury line

WATERBURY — Riders clamoring for more frequent service on the Waterbury Branch of Metro-North Railroad will get what they've been wanting for more than decade: passing sidings.

The state Department of Transportation has begun a project to signalize the single-track rail line, which runs from Bridgeport to Waterbury. As part of the project, the state plans to build passing sidings in Devon, Derby, Beacon Falls and Waterbury.
 #1343101  by Steamboat Willie

The branch has had the Lower Siding in Waterbury all this time, although just that siding alone wouldn't be feasible to entertain additional service. Beacon Falls would need to be re-configured slightly to add another connecting switch and work has already been done with installing a switch at Division St for the siding at Derby.

I am curious as to whether they intend on making the stone siding on the lower end by CP 500 a passing siding for revenue trains. As it stands right now, that is an interchange point where P&W brings loaded/empty stone cars for MNR.

Equipment is already running very thin the last few months and I don't know where they expect on getting the equipment for additional service, and we are not in Water World season yet.
 #1343133  by NH2060

Steamboat Willie wrote:Equipment is already running very thin the last few months and I don't know where they expect on getting the equipment for additional service, and we are not in Water World season yet.
Well according to one news source or another additional service won't come online until 2018 so there will be time. And with CDOT having supposedly purchased the 4 NJT P40s with the existing 6-8 Amtrak units and 6 Geeps (both due for an overhaul) there should be just enough motive power to go around for Waterbury, The Hartford Line for the first few years, and SLE.

And with the Hartford Line costs supposedly including $$$ for additional equipment who's to say there won't be more motive power acquisitions on the horizon. Even if it's limited to CDOT picking up all of the MTA-owned BL20GHs should MNR indeed want to have a 100% homogenous dual mode fleet with their Genesis replacements. As has been pointed out before diesels in CT territory are likely to grow significantly in fleet size.
 #1343146  by Steamboat Willie

If you are implying that the extra service will be utilizing SLE pool equipment, the chances are slim to none. You had SLE equipment run on the Waterbury prior to most of the crew jobs going to Stamford because 1973 used to turn for 1640 in Stamford back in the day. CDOT rarely if ever gives the green light for MNR to utilize a spare SLE set in the event something breaks down on the Waterbury.

Keep in mind, MN wants a spare mini in Stamford to protect Danbury/Waterbury service and a spare up in Brewster to protect Wassaic. Given all of the service commitments I just mentioned, the engines being occasionally designated for work train service, and the few that are in the shop for inspection/repair where are you going to get the equipment? And in my opinion, the track record of being unreliable for Brookvilles will continue well into the future. I don't see them aging gracefully.
 #1346431  by Jeff Smith

Rep-Am

Brief, fair-use quote (everything else is behind the pay wall):
Waterbury branch riders can offer input at commuter forum

NAUGATUCK Riders will have a chance to ask questions and voice concerns about service on the Waterbury branch of Metro-North Railroad this week.

On Wednesday, the Connecticut Commuter Rail Council will hold a commuter forum at 7 p.m. at the offices of the Naugatuck Historical Society at the Naugatuck Train Station, 195 Water St.
 #1346626  by Jeff Smith

Well, hopefully one of our erstwhile moderators or forum participants will go to the meeting and provide the local rag with an alternative to Jimbo for a quote ;-).
 #1346732  by runningwithscalpels

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Don't need to go behind the Re-Am's paywall to guess that a ranting Jim Cameron is going to be the only thing people get to read about in the follow-up story.
Different Jimbo, more competent commentary. I might attend the meeting, but I have some personal things that will take precedence if necessary tomorrow.

$20 says the people who have been complaining about the deadheading set not picking them up and being told that it affects > 1000 other passengers will again complain about it. I am interested to see what the story with the NJT P40's are - the people organizing this seem to think they were bought for the purpose of increased Waterbury service...although I suspect that myth will be swiftly debunked.
 #1346757  by DutchRailnut

The P40's are for SLE service and only one SLE set makes trip on waterbury only cause same crew runs that set to stamford and runs revenue rush hour train for SLE.
MN does not normally run SLE sets in MN services.