Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#126574  by huntersails23

i have never seen any information about these units on the internet. have a few questions i would like answered.

1)how are the shoreliners divided by type (are the ones with the center doors and wood paneling different from the ones with center doors and white walls? etc...)

2)when did the first shoreliners enter service

3)why is there no "juice bar" service on the hudson line?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Consolidating threads, retitled.

#126829  by DutchRailnut

Actualy there are 4 type of Shoreliners.
schedule I = end doors - controls have regular control lights etc.
schedule II = end doors - LED display panel - windshield heater
schedule III= centerdoor - still has folding seat and old 26l brake.
schedule IV = centerdoor - fixed engineer seat- no engineers door and
26rl control desk

#126843  by AMoreira81

How can one tell a Shoreliner I and II, and then a III and a IV from the outside? (I think the difference between the III and the IV is the paneling inside, IIIs have wood, and IVs have white, but what about the I and II? Thanks.)

#126846  by DutchRailnut

don't believe there are exterior differences and you just mentioned interior differences as well.

#126867  by huntersails23

thanks. i also noticed every now and then that there will be a stainless steel bar (as in liquor or the more common "juice" variety) in one of the new haven line cars that has managed to migrate it's way over to the hudson line. no clue how this happened. it has a padlock about the size of an old chevy big block on it,any idea when it may have last been used?

i think stage 4 has all level seats. the outer seat on the three-seat bench is usually lowered on shoreliners.idint it?

#126911  by DutchRailnut

All seats are same level just that outside seat has low back for easy passage tru aisle.
The two ConnDot shoreliner bar cars are still on schedule to be used but since the Conndot cars are no longer captive on Danbury branch the two bar cars are just a waste of space loosing about 20 seats on each car due to the bar.
The bar use to be full service from GCT to norwalk were bar was closed and Bartender deadheaded back to GCT.

#128124  by Nester

huntersails23 wrote:i think stage 4 has all level seats. the outer seat on the three-seat bench is usually lowered on shoreliners.idint it?
I'll have to look, but I was fairly certain that all center-door shoreliners (IIIs and IVs) have high-backed seats for the aisle seat in a three-seater.

I became acquainted with Shoreliner IV cab cars this past winter. When the fleet ran short of cars, there was a consist or two that had one lashed in the middle. Good luck getting off when the doors open on that side (and you're looking to get off at that end)!

Does anyone have car number information for all four variants?

#128137  by M1 9147

Shoreliner I (1985) 6101-6117 (Cab Car Odd # only MN))
6150-6174 (Coach's in MN)
6201-6219 (Cab Car Odd# Only CDOT)
Shoreliner II (1991) 6121-6123 (Cab Car Odd# Only MN)
6175-6190 (Coach's in MN)
Shoreliner III (1996) 6301-6310 (MN Center-Door w wood interior and
engineers door)
6330-63xx (Coaches)
Shoreliner IV (1999) 6311-6320 (Cab Car w Center door, white interior,
no door on engineers side, just window.)
63xx-64xx (Coaches MN)
Shoreliner IV (2002) 6221-6222 (CDOT Cab Car w Center door same
as MN, but with red stripe)
6280-6288 (Coaches with Center door and red
stripe).

Hope that helps unless if wrong someone can correct me.

#128147  by Nester

Thanks for the prompt follow up. Do your CDOT numbers include the Shoreliners that CDOT purchased for SLE Service?

#128169  by AMoreira81

No. ConnDOT Shoreliners for Shore Line East are numbered in the 1600 series. The trailers, however, are seeing less use in favor of the Mafersa cars.

#128202  by Nester

I think some of the trailers were transferred to MN and are now in use. Some of the Shoreliners in use on the Hudson have the CT colors and say "Connecticut Commuter Rail" on the side near the end doors.

#128212  by DutchRailnut

All opf the SLE coaches are transfered, they are renumbered in 6200 series. only recognizable items is the few generator cars with their air vent and muffler pipe sticking from roog and the SLE cars have the name in red lettering instead of the standard black lettering.

#128433  by AMoreira81

6230 still has its red J.P. Morgan letters. However, most of the rest (I was on a train with ConnDOT Shoreliners today) have black letters. They do have Shore Line East Take-Ones in them still.

#128963  by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:All opf the SLE coaches are transfered, they are renumbered in 6200 series. only recognizable items is the few generator cars with their air vent and muffler pipe sticking from roog and the SLE cars have the name in red lettering instead of the standard black lettering.
I came back to post that information on this thread and you beat me to it. I was on a train this morning where the cars were renumbered.