Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Turned Into Safety Training Facility

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1028873  by wicked

This article which appeared in the Metro yesterday says the T will turn an "unused train tunnel and station" into a safety training facility.

http://www.metro.us/boston/local/articl ... y-training

"The Emergency Training Center will enhance the ability of Transit police officers to prepare and respond to situations that pose a threat to the commuting public."
 #1028899  by CS

I'm not exactly clear on which tunnel they will be using - can someone clarify??
 #1028901  by wicked

The article references Oak Street and there is an Oak Street in Chinatown ... this would have to be the old portal near there, no?
 #1028935  by The EGE

That makes sense; someone mentioned that eons ago in the Broadway Station thread. Broadway has the old platforms there - plenty of room. Can't wait to see when they put the cars in!
 #1029182  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The EGE wrote:That makes sense; someone mentioned that eons ago in the Broadway Station thread. Broadway has the old platforms there - plenty of room. Can't wait to see when they put the cars in!
It's cleaner, has working lighting, and has quick access to both the station lobby and Cabot Yard via Foundry St. Much more ideal place to stage drills than the Tremont tunnel.
 #1029191  by sery2831

All the drills have been previously done at the Bowdoin Station on the weekends. This will give them a location where they can do drills anytime of the day or night without interrupting service.
 #1029241  by 3rdrail

That's an ideal location on the exterior as well. On the north side, they have the protection of the U.S.P.S. Annex which is guarded and not a through way for regular traffic, there's Cabot Yard to the west, and the other end could be blocked by Transit Police easily, giving a nice secluded location for emergency drills with the advantage of utilizing real subway infrastructure.
 #1029389  by 3rdrail

It's a station that was used briefly for streetcars that is between the Cambridge-Dorchester Line and the street level. Here's a photo of it's inlaid ceramic sign when I was down there.
 #1045596  by Charliemta

The portal should be preserved as a historic structure. There is no compeling need to tear it down. I'm surprised the State Historic Preservation office (SHPPO) permitted this. There are almost no old abandoned portals in Boston still standing. This is a unique, historic structure, and in my opinion it is an outrage that is is being torn down.