Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1259308  by Mcoov

Yet the NYC Subway has no issues changing service patterns for years on end. My cousin remembers the day they introduced the V, and the day they stopped it.
 #1259328  by djimpact1

CRail wrote:No one said they can't be switched. The effort is being made to preserve the 'norm.' We've become such lemmings that the T is afraid to change anything in the fear that everyone will end up somewhere near Pluto and the ADA will sue again. I don't agree with the mentality, but so it is.

Your photo is obviously of an old sign. Instead of bashing government labor on a railfan forum, perhaps you could bring it to the Authority's attention and maybe it will get replaced.
Very well said CRail. Anytime the T needs to adjust the "expected" flow of how operations are executed, some folks seem to get up in arms over it (as if to say "how dare you mess with MY expectations).

The fact is, changes are made on a daily basis to accommodate equipment shortages/problems, schedule adjustments, holidays & special events, etc. It's nothing new by far, and it will never go away. I'm tired of seeing some folks hit the internet to make a run for a "Pity me & my inconvenience" tirade, and this is why the T has to tip-toe on eggshells whenever the avalanche of criticism rolls full force. It's easy to point the finger at a highly-recognized public entity...how would you like it done to you if you had thousands of people relying on your expected flow of work to go without a hitch day-to-day?

To get more focused on Government Center again, I found that I took a picture of the "GC" paneled wall 3 years ago, and took a picture of the same wall this past Friday night (with the newly-uncovered Scollay Under sign). I decided to align both & fade from 2011 to 2014. The result (watermarked obviously) is below...
Attachments:
"Now & Then" by me
"Now & Then" by me
Now&Then-watermarked.jpg (100.44 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
 #1259337  by ns3010

djimpact1 wrote:To get more focused on Government Center again, I found that I took a picture of the "GC" paneled wall 3 years ago, and took a picture of the same wall this past Friday night (with the newly-uncovered Scollay Under sign). I decided to align both & fade from 2011 to 2014. The result (watermarked obviously) is below...
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Nomis and I also made a trip over to GC on Friday for one last time (and documented every square inch of the station :-)). I won't bother posting the boring photos I took. However, people left notes throughout the station, mostly in the east end BL stairwell. All but one, surprisingly, was positive. People thanked the station for everything over the years, and talked about how they were looking forward to the new station, while hoping the history was preserved. Here are a few:

It was nice to see everyone realizing the history behind the station and how important it is, rather than complaining how inconvenient the shutdown is. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to see the new station, since the upgrade is well overdue.

Also, operators are announcing the shutdown while approaching Park, Haymarket, and State, telling passengers how to make the transfer. GC has been removed from the ASA, and the system just acts as if it isn't there at all.

There is caution tape around both platforms, as well as signs that say "Station Closed, Do Not Stop Train."
 #1259386  by sery2831

Yellowspoon wrote:
Given that swapping berths on the westbound route is occasionally done, what possible reason could there be for wasting resources to run the trains to Government Center?
I am not sure what resources are wasted operating to the loop at Gov't Center. It is the same as looping trains at Bowdoin when that station is closed. The idea of operating cars to the Gov't loop is purely for spacing. Both the B and D lines are heavy and cannot realistically operate out of Park St on the same track. So one of the heaviest lines needs to go beyond Park St to loop.
 #1259529  by Disney Guy

Prior to the shutdown, we had the Park St. loop, the Government Center loop, and the two outbound tracks at Park St. which altogether would make it possible much of the time to respace outbound B and D trains that got bunched on their inbound trips.

With just the Park St. loop coming onto just one outbound track, it is not possible to correct bunching, an outbound train on one line has to leave Park St. immediately (after loading) when a train from the other line pulls up behind it.

Note that if, before the shutdown, all B and D trains had gone to GC without fail, then the ability to respace trains after bunching is partly compromised also.

I wish that the GC renovation plans had included restoration of a small portion (about 20 feet wide, floor to ceiling) to ca. 1924 appearance. Included would be the Scollay Under mosaic and vintage light fixtures. Also a similar exhibit for the Green Line.
 #1259539  by Type7trolley

Disney Guy wrote:I wish that the GC renovation plans had included restoration of a small portion (about 20 feet wide, floor to ceiling) to ca. 1914 appearance. Included would be the Scollay Under mosaic and vintage light fixtures. Also a similar exhibit for the Green Line.
I was thinking something similar waiting for my train the last time I was there. The columns and riveted steelwork on the Green Line level are really quite nice in an industrial way. If the designers were to embrace what's already there and work with it instead of covering it with stainless steel panels like in recent renovations (State!) they could really have something on their hands. Just look at how well the ornate headhouse at Copley turned out as opposed to replacing it with the typical glass box. I doubt it will happen, but maybe they'll at least get rid of that false ceiling from the '60s overhaul that cuts the headroom in half. That alone would give the station a more 'airy' feel, like what they're trying to go for with the proposed headhouse.
 #1259575  by BerndinMA

WBUR had a story today on GC closing. The t engineer/ project manager said the Scollay SQ sign on the blue line wall will be saved. They are hiring a tile restorer to take it down mount in on a special backing board and the replace it on the wall when construction is finished so it can be seen. they said a few other features are to be saved in a similar manner. WBUR's web site should have the radio story.
 #1259595  by WickedPissah

Salvaged the first panels this morning from Government Center. We're working closely with the engineer and contractor to save as much as possible for resale through the MBTAgifts program. Any historically important items like the mosaics and original station plaque will remain in the station. More to come this week.
1909344_10152066255134163_1508790003_o.jpg
1909344_10152066255134163_1508790003_o.jpg (218.88 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
1926200_10152066254904163_1764883023_o.jpg
1926200_10152066254904163_1764883023_o.jpg (211.81 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
10001049_10152066255069163_393281647_o.jpg
10001049_10152066255069163_393281647_o.jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
 #1259615  by The EGE

Brian, I hope someday I'll be able to afford some of the station panels you get. (Not that I'm complaining about your prices - I think they're fair. I'm just a poor student). You guys do some great work.

I'm glad to hear that the original mosaics are staying, though. Those have great historical value, and I'm hoping they'll be as well displayed as those at Arlington, Broadway, etc.
 #1262882  by ns3010

They're definitely making progress. The inside is a mess, and most notably, the Dunkies on the GL platform is gone.

Interestingly enough, the escalators were still running when I passed through Monday night! :-)
 #1264278  by BostonUrbEx

ns3010 wrote:Interestingly enough, the escalators were still running when I passed through Monday night! :-)
For anyone who hasn't seen the discussion via UniversalHub:

The escalators will continue to operate until the day they're removed. If they stop it, the motors and parts will seize up and get lodged in whatever position they're in. They're hoping to quickly dismantle the whole escalator at once and then salvage the parts for other escalators in the system.