Railroad Forums 

• Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#623185  by AEM7AC920

frrc wrote:Read an article in the local paper stating that the goal is 80mph speeds on the Fitchburg line, after the track upgrades. What's the current
max speed on this line anyway ?
Max speed is 60.
 #623211  by mbta1051dan

AEM7AC920 wrote:
frrc wrote:Read an article in the local paper stating that the goal is 80mph speeds on the Fitchburg line, after the track upgrades. What's the current
Max speed is 60.
How often do they make that?
 #623230  by AEM7AC920

mbta1051dan wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:
Max speed is 60.
How often do they make that?
60? and it's done all the time on various stretches... Ex Kendall green and concord...
 #623259  by mbta1051dan

AEM7AC920 wrote: 60? and it's done all the time on various stretches... Ex Kendall green and concord...
Hmmm yeah and I've been riding the Fitchburg since we first moved here which was way back in 94 or so I even remember when we ran K cars on this line!!!

I wonder if any other stretches West of South Acton still have joints??? The furthest I have ridden is Shirley and as I remember it was 60 and continuous rail from S. Acton back when I rode to Shirley in '06.
 #623806  by 130MM

mbta1051dan wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote: 60? and it's done all the time on various stretches... Ex Kendall green and concord...
Hmmm yeah and I've been riding the Fitchburg since we first moved here which was way back in 94 or so I even remember when we ran K cars on this line!!!

I wonder if any other stretches West of South Acton still have joints??? The furthest I have ridden is Shirley and as I remember it was 60 and continuous rail from S. Acton back when I rode to Shirley in '06.
Only a couple of small patches in Ayer, and a little in and west of FG up to Water St. OH bridge on Track 2, but the passenger trains no longer use that track.

DAW
 #624621  by ST214

Can't get the article to open...

I had heard the possibility of putting a interlocking at Slab City, but nothing has come of it that i know of.

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Here is an article regarding upgrades to the Fitchburg line in Leominster. They mention an interlocking, what Interlocking would this be?

Leominster environmental concerns
 #624992  by GP40MC1118

I understand that a new interlocking at Derby curve will replace Slab City.
Also, the west end of Ayer gets power up. Tentative name is CP-Camp

D
 #625664  by 130MM

GP40MC1118 wrote:I understand that a new interlocking at Derby curve will replace Slab City.
Also, the west end of Ayer gets power up. Tentative name is CP-Camp

D
Tentative Interlocking Disposition:

Swift -- Stays as is
West Cambridge -- retired (don't worry you Watertown Branch fanatics, the switch will be retained as a hand throw)
Hill Crossing - retired
Hills -- universal #20 installed approximately MP 6
Waltham -- remain, though the easterly switch (the #1) will be moved east out onto the tangent
Baker Bridge -- installed near where Rt. 126 crosses over
South Acton -- renamed Maynard Jct. to differentiate it from South Acton station. Also, the double track will extend through the interlocking and the station (a new center island platform will be built). Will consist of a #15 crossover east of new platform
Martin St. -- retired
Acton -- an equilateral at the end of double track between Richardson's Crossing (Central St.) and Mass Ave.
CPF-WL (Willows) -- no change
CPF-AY (Ayer) -- gets an additional power turnout to W. Main St siding, no other changes
CPF-Camp -- new universal #20 with power connections to the west end of the Camp Track and W. Main St. siding.
CPF-Slab City -- Retired
CPF-Derby -- universal #20 installed area of Lununberg Middle east of Derby Curve. #1 track to be shifted to location of middle track with existing #1 retained as a switching lead for the two consignees there connected to the new #1 with a #10 power crossover
CPF-FG -- westerly crossover (the #7) gets changed from a #15 to a #20

Of course, all of the above is subject to change at any time before it is put into track
 #625671  by AEM7AC920

Yikes that is a good amount of changes some of us will need to requalify for all of that. :wink:
 #625748  by jonnhrr

I thought the single track sections in Waltham and S. Acton to Willows were being doubled?

Jon
 #626819  by 130MM

That was originally part of the plan, but the scale of the project has been cut back to meet the available money.

DAW
jonnhrr wrote:I thought the single track sections in Waltham and S. Acton to Willows were being doubled?

Jon
 #627136  by trainhq

Well, in that case, they're not going to be doing a whole lot. I had remembered that the
double tracking was fairly high on the priority list, right behind the replacement of jointed
track with CWR. However, be that as it may, just doing that would give a considerable
increase in speed. That may be about all they get done for now.
 #627237  by TheOperator

They're gonna do some things... like close the Waltham Tower, leaving me out of a job :(

Also, why would they take out so many interlockings east of Waltham (i.e. Hill Crossing, West Cambridge)? They're still used frequently to cross over passenger trains when needed and move rail equipment from West Cambridge yard... dumb move by MBCR.
 #627251  by sery2831

Well the T is making these calls, not MBCR! I am sort of surprised that they are making the West Cambridge MOW base have a hand throw entry!