Railroad Forums 

• Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1403348  by Trinnau

You guys are overthinking this. Plate F clearance has to do with height not width. Plate F box cars regularly go past the high-level platform at Anderson/Woburn and regular covered hoppers and tanks past the high-level platforms at Lynn and Salem. The horizontal clearance on a regular Plate C or F car is the same as a coach at platform level. The reason the station is on a station track is due to excess width cars - most notably plate steel - which moves regularly in this territory but only overhangs by a few inches. Normally not an issue, but it is with a platform that has only a few inches clearance.

You're assuming it will be several months of single-track still, but with the MBTA station service will go full in November, that must mean both tracks will be in service to CPF-335 by that point in time. Remember the MBTA is moving their entire layover facility to Westminster, so they'll need track 2.

With 10 shifts available for service (FI-1 and FI-2) I seriously doubt this will be an inconvenience or issue. And with new crossovers at CPF-333 and CPF-330 shortening a runaround move, it won't be much of an issue. Mid-day, MBTA service won't be going to the layover - they'll turn in the station. Really, there are some 90 minute gaps mid-day at Fitchburg right now, that's plenty of time to switch Omnova between trains.
 #1403374  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Not totally true. Curved 48-inch platforms present a problem for the wider turning radius of Plate F cars, and create problems with platform strikes and derailments. Wachusett has pretty pronounced curvature to that, so it's unlikely a full-length Plate F boxcar is going to have a good time through there. And there is a certain curvature cutoff where they just can't fit at all.

Tangent 48-inch platforms do not have this problem. Nothing is outright prohibited, as evidenced by P&W taking its huge Davisville autorack job through the T.F. Green 800 ft. full-high. The only elevated strike potential with Plate F's through a tangent full-high are from the higher allowances for lateral sway in the suspensions of tall cars, and the effects of harmonic rocking on a consist full of tall cars. That risk can be nullified just by going extra slow, as P&W does through the Green platform.

That's obviously going to work better with lower schedule densities than higher, and become completely impractical on a busy line. The day will eventually come some years down the road where T.F. Green passenger schedules ramp up enough that holding up commuter rail outbounds with a slow-crawling freight isn't going to work anymore, and they'll have to undercut Amtrak Tracks 1 & 2 by 4 to 4.5 ft. so the freights can pass away from the platform track at full-speed under the wires. It definitely is pointless on the PAS main to make every Norfolk Southern IM monster slow to a crawl every single time around a platform. And that's why stops like North Leominster that are on the mainline with no passing tracks are going to keep doing the retractable-edge mini-highs out of basic operational sanity for everyone involved.

The adjacent freight biz on the Wachusett platform track isn't nearly large enough to matter, especially if Omnova is likely to only get tankers. The rounded shape of tankers leaves much extra clearance from the platform edge to begin with, and one at Plate F length with wider turning radius can most likely handle the Wachusett platform curve without swinging close. They rarely go super-tall with super-talls' suspension on tankers because staying within weight limit gets hard past a certain volume of liquid. Omnova's just not going to be able to get max-size Plate F boxcars, because those are so unlikely to clear the curve. And any such boxcars on the local will have to be detached before passing the platform. None of that's a problem for lighter-traffic times of day, the maximum size of the businesses served only off the station siding and not anywhere else in the area straight off the main (see gigantic Carauster Paperboard across the tracks). It's literally Omnova and anything rail-served on the 2 adjacent parcels. All of the more substantial industrial development current and future to be had in this general area gets served off the main without ever needing to engage the platform.
 #1403389  by Abe Froman

Trinnau wrote:

"You're assuming it will be several months of single-track still, but with the MBTA station service will go full in November, that must mean both tracks will be in service to CPF-335 by that point in time. Remember the MBTA is moving their entire layover facility to Westminster, so they'll need track 2."

"With 10 shifts available for service (FI-1 and FI-2) I seriously doubt this will be an inconvenience or issue. And with new crossovers at CPF-333 and CPF-330 shortening a runaround move, it won't be much of an issue. Mid-day, MBTA service won't be going to the layover - they'll turn in the station. Really, there are some 90 minute gaps mid-day at Fitchburg right now, that's plenty of time to switch Omnova between trains.[/quote]

Your confidence this project will be completed sometime during November is misplaced given the history of the project. Ground braking for Wachusett Station occurred during the Fall of 2010-six years ago-with planned project completion of the complete project scheduled for 2012. I have the Construction Phasing Diagram in front of me as this is typed. The Phasing Diagram provided the basis-along with other planning documents-for the bid and scope of work involved. Unless I missed something the following has not been accomplished: clearing and grubbing of 5.5 miles of track/roadbed to 30' on either side of track centerline; repairs to 5.5 miles of #2 track sub-ballast and compaction of bottom ballast; removal and installation of new ties to tracks 1 & 2 from T mile post 49.5 to 54 (corresponds to PanAm MP 329.55 [Fitchburg Station] to 335 [Westminster] @ 12 ties per 39'; selective undercutting of ballast, surface and align tracks 1 & 2 from T mile post 49.5 to 54.0; strengthen or replace all double track bridges [bridge work on several bridges continues]. Given the previous glacial progress of construction it would appear more than a bit optimistic to anticipate the above (and more) will be accomplished in the 39 work days remaining until November 30. OTOH, once cold weather set in...activity slows significantly.

Again, unless I missed something totally, MBTA/T access from Wachusett Station to the Layover facility is not an issue or a consideration since they have that access now. The topic raised in my OP raised the possibility of switch movements to serve Omnova and Carustar Paper, not simply Omnova, effectively closing both mains simultaneously to allow for multiple run around movement since the spurs in question are on opposite sides of the main line and the switch points are in opposing direction to each other. Similarly, your contention of 90 minute window currently at Fitchburg Station fails to consider that window, to the extent it exists, would be best utilized by PanAm to move symbol freight trains in both directions. In addition, the availability of switch crews assigned to FI-1 or FI-2 is beside the point. Availability of track(s) for a given period of time to support the switching movement is the point.

Finally, it is not in the current interest of either the MBTA, MART or MassDoT to hasten project completion. After all, it is not as if the claimed daily boarding count at Wachusett Station will reach the 400 total as claimed in the project proposal anytime soon, if ever. T and Keolis management are most aware of this and are not particularly eager to run MT trains. So, they will use this interim to rev up interest, only to fail abysmally once the rider realizes the fare. Come November-or whenever-the only riders boarding at Wachusett will be riders who currently board at Fitchburg or North Leominster eager to save a couple of bucks in daily parking cost.
 #1403390  by ns3010

diburning wrote:Hmm, no weekend service? Does that mean that they'll still only operate the trips with the bike/ski car on weekends to Fitchburg with shuttles picking up the ski passengers there, as they have done in the past?
Wachusett (Mountain) tweeted about the new station opening making it easier to get to the mountain, implying that the shuttle would leave from there this year, implying that the plan is to definitely start weekend service by late fall.

That said, I'm guessing operations will transfer to the new layover once the schedule is extended?
 #1403404  by Trinnau

Abe Froman wrote:Your confidence this project will be completed sometime during November is misplaced given the history of the project. Ground braking for Wachusett Station occurred during the Fall of 2010-six years ago-with planned project completion of the complete project scheduled for 2012. I have the Construction Phasing Diagram in front of me as this is typed. The Phasing Diagram provided the basis-along with other planning documents-for the bid and scope of work involved. Unless I missed something the following has not been accomplished: clearing and grubbing of 5.5 miles of track/roadbed to 30' on either side of track centerline; repairs to 5.5 miles of #2 track sub-ballast and compaction of bottom ballast; removal and installation of new ties to tracks 1 & 2 from T mile post 49.5 to 54 (corresponds to PanAm MP 329.55 [Fitchburg Station] to 335 [Westminster] @ 12 ties per 39'; selective undercutting of ballast, surface and align tracks 1 & 2 from T mile post 49.5 to 54.0; strengthen or replace all double track bridges [bridge work on several bridges continues]. Given the previous glacial progress of construction it would appear more than a bit optimistic to anticipate the above (and more) will be accomplished in the 39 work days remaining until November 30. OTOH, once cold weather set in...activity slows significantly.
Given the recent history of the project, I bet you'll be surprised by Thanksgiving. In case you missed it, track 1 is done. Bridge work, undercutting, ties, rail. All done. The track was released for 55mph passenger speeds on Thursday, and as reported Friday the first train appeared to travel that fast. And railfan photographs from the area show considerable tree removal.

Track 2 has track back on all but 1 bridge (the one just west of Fitchburg station) and is actually finally back in service for a stretch now, but hasn't been released for passenger speeds. You can bet in the several months it's been out that most of the other work has been done on it. Over the next 6 weeks or so they'll finish the bridge and run through the final surfacing.
Abe Froman wrote:Again, unless I missed something totally, MBTA/T access from Wachusett Station to the Layover facility is not an issue or a consideration since they have that access now. The topic raised in my OP raised the possibility of switch movements to serve Omnova and Carustar Paper, not simply Omnova, effectively closing both mains simultaneously to allow for multiple run around movement since the spurs in question are on opposite sides of the main line and the switch points are in opposing direction to each other. Similarly, your contention of 90 minute window currently at Fitchburg Station fails to consider that window, to the extent it exists, would be best utilized by PanAm to move symbol freight trains in both directions. In addition, the availability of switch crews assigned to FI-1 or FI-2 is beside the point. Availability of track(s) for a given period of time to support the switching movement is the point.
My point is the variance in how these could be accomplished. You assume they would switch both in the same shift. For example, we know the Fitchburg job goes up the hill to Gardner. They could put their entire train together, switch the paper company on the way up the hill, work the hill, runaround in Gardner, then switch Omnova on the way back. Or they could just go to Omnova or just the paper company. Going to just Omnova they could use the station track as the runaround, which would make the runaround move less than 10 minutes. Even switching both together, you only ever tie up one track except in the runaround move from 333 to 335, which is probably a total of 10-15 minutes tops. With flexibility at 330, 333 and 335, it's not that complex of a puzzle to work around. It's all about timing and understanding the windows.
Abe Froman wrote:Finally, it is not in the current interest of either the MBTA, MART or MassDoT to hasten project completion. After all, it is not as if the claimed daily boarding count at Wachusett Station will reach the 400 total as claimed in the project proposal anytime soon, if ever. T and Keolis management are most aware of this and are not particularly eager to run MT trains. So, they will use this interim to rev up interest, only to fail abysmally once the rider realizes the fare. Come November-or whenever-the only riders boarding at Wachusett will be riders who currently board at Fitchburg or North Leominster eager to save a couple of bucks in daily parking cost.
The fare out of Wachusett is the same as Fitchubrg and North Leominster, and the parking lot is going to be managed by MART, who also manages the Fitchburg and North Leominster garage - which both have the same parking fee. So while the fee hasn't been posted yet for Wachusett, you can bet it will be the same. So while yes, some current riders will shift to Wachusett (particularly the North Leominster crowd who comes down Route 2), these trains won't be empty because they serve the entire line. The potential growth from that area is pretty big - particularly with the upgrades recently completed on the rest of the line. And I'm sure there are folks at both Keolis and MBTA who can't wait to get out of the current Fitchburg layover facility.
 #1403410  by Trinnau

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Not totally true. Curved 48-inch platforms present a problem for the wider turning radius of Plate F cars, and create problems with platform strikes and derailments. Wachusett has pretty pronounced curvature to that, so it's unlikely a full-length Plate F boxcar is going to have a good time through there. And there is a certain curvature cutoff where they just can't fit at all.

Tangent 48-inch platforms do not have this problem. Nothing is outright prohibited, as evidenced by P&W taking its huge Davisville autorack job through the T.F. Green 800 ft. full-high. The only elevated strike potential with Plate F's through a tangent full-high are from the higher allowances for lateral sway in the suspensions of tall cars, and the effects of harmonic rocking on a consist full of tall cars. That risk can be nullified just by going extra slow, as P&W does through the Green platform.
So explain to me how the truck centers on a 60ft Plate C box car are the same as a 60ft Plate F box car? Sourced from BNSF's website.

I recommend you do a little research on AAR's plate clearance (loading gauge), but basically, plate C, E and F only differ in height and profile near the top of the car. All three require that truck centers exceeding 46ft 3in, have their carbody width reduced to account for curve overhang based on a 13 degree curve - or else they don't fit the plate. The maximum width is 10ft 8in starting 40in above the rail.

Here's a few sites...
http://www.icrr.net/plates.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge
 #1403415  by StefanW

BostonUrbEx wrote:I'm estimating about 1.5 miles between the layover and the station. The station is probably about MP 333.5 and the layover might be about MP 335.
Very close! According to the Pan Am track chart, Wachusett is 333.55 and the turnout for the layover is at 335.00. For reference, the Fitchburg station is at 329.40.
 #1403419  by StefanW

On Friday I was up front on the first revenue trip inbound from Wachusett to Fitchburg (train 410) and I shot a mix of video and stills out the cab window.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B045p3ichG3jl4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sample:
Train 410 at Wachusett 2016-09-30 801AM.jpg
I also shot out a side coach window on the first revenue outbound train 401, Fitchburg to Wachusett. Stay tuned for those.
 #1403425  by StefanW

Trinnau wrote:In case you missed it, track 1 is done. Bridge work, undercutting, ties, rail. All done. The track was released for 55mph passenger speeds on Thursday, and as reported Friday the first train appeared to travel that fast. And railfan photographs from the area show considerable tree removal.

Track 2 has track back on all but 1 bridge (the one just west of Fitchburg station) and is actually finally back in service for a stretch now, but hasn't been released for passenger speeds. You can bet in the several months it's been out that most of the other work has been done on it. Over the next 6 weeks or so they'll finish the bridge and run through the final surfacing.
I believe we were at 55 MPH all the way from CPF 333 to 330 Friday morning.

The final bridge at approx. 329.6 appears to have all the track 2 structure in place.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B045p3ichG3jl4;085E6DBF-4C48-44A5-BBCA-26609DFB63A5
 #1403433  by Backshophoss

From the videos and slides,#2 needs plenty of work in many spots,at one bridge has only a partial deck for now.
There seems to be a need to spray some form of "roundup" at 1 bridge on both tracks. :wink:
 #1403549  by The EGE

800 feet by 12 feet, standard for new construction on the T on non-clearance tracks since the mid 1990s. Will platform 9 cars fully, and one door on a tenth if needed. The MBTA currently maxes out at 8 car sets, and the northside doesn't usually go past 6 cars (although Fitchburg Line trains may push that limit with expected ridership from the whole upgrade project.) Platforms themselves are rather cheap - just concrete foundations with a prefab slab on top - so it doesn't really add much extra cost to build an 800 footer versus a 500 footer. Compare with ConnDOT - they built the 2005-era Shore Line East platforms to just 200 feet long, and they're already having to lengthen some of them, at a rather higher cost.
 #1403851  by MBTA3247

Keolis has positioned equipment and at least one track panel to rebuild the Sherman St crossing in Cambridge this weekend.
 #1404070  by trainhq

Glad they finally got Wachusett station up; I'm sure it will be well used. I did a sound
study for the layover facility in Westminster a few years ago. Hope it doesn't bother the
residents much, but if they start idling at 3 A.M. in the winter, I think some people won't like it.
 #1405068  by johnpbarlow

I guess the last major task in the Wachusett extension is to complete the rebuild of the Nashua River bridge at CPF-330. As seen from the Putnam St bridge in Fitchburg, Workers are hard at rebuilding main 2 on the bridge on Friday 10/14/16. Behind me sitting on main 2 is an uncrewed PAS 28N auto train inbound to Ayer.
Attachments:
MBTA CPF-330 Nashua River bridge Fitchburg 101416.jpg
MBTA CPF-330 Nashua River bridge Fitchburg 101416.jpg (314.87 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
PAS 28N CPF-330 Fitchburg 101416 3 small.jpg
PAS 28N CPF-330 Fitchburg 101416 3 small.jpg (258.61 KiB) Viewed 3054 times