• REPORT: RAILROAD.NET DAY at SEASHORE TROLLEY MUSEUM!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Everyone,

Well, I just walked in the door, and I had a good five hours to think about the excellent day that Seashore Trolley Museum hosted for us today. About fifteen people showed up for our little tour group, but many RAILROAD.NET members who were in attendance were also museum volunteers! Everyone had a great time, and the museum volunteers went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. Mike Roque (webmaster) and Jessy Stallone (development) joined yours truly to welcome our members to this unique museum.

Cars in service today included Nashua 38, Minneapolis 1267, and Connecticut Co. 303. Dallas car 434 provided a shuttle service between the Arundel shelter and the display barns. And the main attraction (well, for some of us, anyway) was the rare appearance of the New York City Subway cars- 9327 (R-33, retired 2002) and 37371 (R-22 retired 1987). Museum volunteers also led our group on an extensive walking tour of the grounds, showing us many areas not usually open to the public. Some members were even lucky enough to get a few minutes of instruction time behind the controller of one of the trolley cars.

Thanks very much to Stevie Hemeon who had the idea for "Railroad.net Day," and a big thanks to Bill Pollman who made the Subway cars ready and available for our use today. Thanks to Stevie's wife who helped prepare picnic lunch for us at the Visitors Center. Thanks also to the numerous other folks who made this all happen. And thanks to the many RAILROAD.NET members who came out to have fun with us today. We hope you enjoyed yourself and we hope to host similar events in the future.

Look for a Staff Report to be posted later this month. If you have photos you'd like to share, please let me know before you start sending large files to me. We'd love to hear from people who were on the trip.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mike Roque

Here are a few photos of our group from today:

On board Connecticut 303 for the first trip of the day.

Our group poses at the Riverside carbarn with ConnCo. 303

Minneapolis 1267 brought our tour group to Talbot Park Loop later in the afternoon.

The afternoon Subway trips were the highlight of the day for many.

Check out more of my photos on Flickr.

by MassBayMC1131

That was a fun and interesting day :wink: :-)

by Robert Paniagua

Yes, it was, Brendan, And I took a ton of photos so that I'll share, and a movie out fron of 37371 and me inside the 01450 on the Red Line.

Great times there!!

by StevieC48

Hey Everyone it's stevie and my wife here. First of all I would like to say that it was a pleasure to meet all of you and put faces to some of the names that i know on here. Even though I will be recooperating for the next couple of days it was well worth it and would do it again. My wife would like to say thanks to all that came and it was also a pleasure meeting everyone. We should do it again and make it an anual thing. :-D :wink:

by sixflagscoasters

I would love for this to be an annual event!

Also maybe it can have some thing different every year. For example go see whats under the tarps and the far back shed that we did not go inside, and maybe the parts building.

Also have a different set of trolleys and subway cars to ride next year if possible?

Also how did you get inside the 01450 Robert?

Thanks for your time and help for everyone who put this event together.

Bill

by Robert Paniagua

StevieC48 wrote:Hey Everyone it's stevie and my wife here. First of all I would like to say that it was a pleasure to meet all of you and put faces to some of the names that i know on here. Even though I will be recooperating for the next couple of days it was well worth it and would do it again. My wife would like to say thanks to all that came and it was also a pleasure meeting everyone. We should do it again and make it an anual thing. :-D :wink:
I know, I'm sure it'll happen as an annual event, that would be cool to go every this time of year, especially with the warm weather season. Thanks for the fun again, it was a great privilege of meeting you guys.

sixflagcoasters said:

Also how did you get inside the 01450 Robert?

Crail & MassBayMC1131 let me in so that I could take pictures and movies of those cars I wanted to see. Was fun.

by acela 2036

Glad to hear you guys had a good time! If I didnt have to go to graduation, I would be there! Oh well, hopefully you can do another special event there during the summer.

by stevo

next time we do this (if there is a next time), can we do it on a saturday?? i can only make it saturdays, and i really wanted to go this time.

by Otto Vondrak

i can only make it saturdays
We try to accommodate as many people as possible... but what about folks who can only make Sundays? Or Mondays? Whenever and wherever we do our next event, we'll certainly try to accommodate as many people as possible.

-otto-

by stevo

yeah, i understand what you mean, i'm just saying, can we make it on a saturday sometime? i know i'm not the only one that can only make it saturdays.

by StevieC48

Thanks for sharing Mark. Oh and welcome aboard RR.NET.

by sunshine

Hey Mark nice shot of the back of stevie lmao :-D

by Otto Vondrak

Mark- it was great to meet you an your dad at the museum yesterday. Thanks for sharing your photos- I can tell you put a lot of thought into them!

-otto-