Railroad Forums 

• Kawasaki cars on north lines?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#25796  by apodino

They get equipment from one side to the other via the Grand Junction, as has been mentioned several times before. The grand junction is a branch that is accessed via the framingham line, and leaves the line near the CSX beacon park yard. The line crosses the charles river directly below the BU bridge, and goes through cambridge near MIT before joining the North Side near BET.

#25849  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Diverging Route, i never really see that train alot, i thought it would have had more doubles due to it being at rush hour

#25878  by CSX Conductor

GGardei, Dino is correct about the Grand Jct Running Track, (which actually does not physically connect to the main-line by the way). this is how the Downeaster sets are moved to SouthHampton Street for servicing in Boston.

(Trains cross the Fitchburg Line by the old Tower H at CP Swift via a diamond and after crossing Storrow Drive and entering Beacon park Yard, through a switch under the Mass pike overpass in order to reverse direction to CP-3 onto the main-line and head east toward CP-Cove.

#25883  by CRail

The boston engine terminal serves the north and south side. The kawasakis in the BET are not used on the south side. there is a track connecting the north and south side, but it is not used for passenger service.
 #28622  by SnoozerZ49

Here are a few points:

A majority of all train sets used on the Readville Shuttle are simply being short turned after arriving in South Station, There are very few sets dedicated to the shuttle itself. Also, equipment that lays over at Readville during the day is run back down the branch in the afternoon in preparation for the evening rush

Kawasaki cars on the Lowell line are on test trains. Occasionally test trains are run to check out new equipment. These trains do not carry any passengers.

There are points on the North Side ( e.g. the overpass bridge just beyond Bradford Station) that have a tight side clearance due to the curvature of the track and the overall length of the Kawasaki cars and their trucks.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the Kawasaki's in service up on the North Side. The HVAC ( heating and a/c systems) are even worse than the "flats". The door hardware is cheap and fragile, latches, springs and gaskets constantly break.

Try climbing up and down those stairs hundreds of tumes a day while the car is rocking back and forth. Your knees suffer a lot of abuse.

Give me a set of rebuilt 200 series coaches any day, at least they have an aisle that normal people can travel down.