Railroad Forums 

• Red Line Stations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#22833  by Robert Paniagua

I remember Savin Hill myself too. When I first moved here from MCMD, I first took the T overall from Savin Hill (even though I lived in Hanover at the time), and got a train of 01400s from there. That station looked more like an NYCT Station on the open-cut Q or N line station. The other entrance, which would come from the parking lot, was always closed. Hoepfully they'll reopen that entrance and have some elevatour/escalatour access there.

As for service, I guess the only thing rolling was more Braintree Service than usual, although it didn't affect me since I did other off-topic stuff out in Medway and Ashland. And when I get back to work on Tuesday, I will have to dodge the Ashmont train bullets :-D.

#22835  by CS

I think most of the Dorchester stations resemble NYCT stations, especially Savin Hill and Shawmut. Maybe it's because the old dirty dingy smell \ feeling in the stations remind me of NYC (no offense, there are some clean stations in NYC).

#22839  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, thats right, CS, alot of them were like that. For example, the WSEL OL reminded me of NYCT's above ground network.

#23075  by Ron Newman

Central and Kendall used to feel very NYC-like (dirty, dark, dingy) before the modernization and platform extension work of the late 1980s.

#23141  by typesix

The T created another set of platforms at Columbia/JFK/UMASS because it was easier to do since the two lines have already split up after exiting the tunnel. When the Quincy line was built, a fairly elaborate scheme was devised to avoid having the two lines cross each other like Copley and Beacon Junctions on the Green. Redoing this scheme by moving it South of the new platforms would be more expensive and create problems during construction.

#23294  by jrc520

savin hill, 1928. only mods were a second stair way, and extending the platform.
 #23445  by marlowe

On the Red Line comming from Ashmont, the train runs about 10 MPH at the start of incline right before Savin Hill until just before the crossover switch at JFK, where it speeds up for about 10 seconds.

If the station is gone, why so slow?