Railroad Forums 

• MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#399916  by StevieC48

NO thats was for the show. But during the R/H the inspector does announce the trains. They also did in the 80s' on the Green Line too, by the late Richie Kenny, AKA Mr.BAASTIN COLEGE. Don't know if they still do.
Last edited by StevieC48 on Fri May 18, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

#400076  by Carfare

Had a feeling it was dubbed, but I wanted to be sure. It being Park Street, the Blue Line announcement seemed a bit whacked!

#400698  by jscola30

Funny you should mention that, I've heard a few annoucements of "Park St. change here for the green and blue lines" Think these motormen have some brushing up to do. :wink:

#433527  by BayColony1706

On the note of TV ref's, there is a scene in an old episode of "Cheers" in which Norm, Cliff, and Sam ride a type 7 to the Garden, also shows cars on the Green Line El by North Sta/ Garden.
 #759186  by BigUglyCat

This was likely filmed in 1967. That's a young Yaphet Kotto we're seeing in the stills. If I remember right, Addison Powell's character rode into the city on the Blue Line, the EBT back then I guess.
 #759215  by jonnhrr

The brownish color of the tile looks to me like the old Boylston/Essex station. I seem to remember Summer/Winter was a more orangey color, but my memory could be wrong about that.

1967 is probably correct for the shooting as the movie was released in 1968. (The original with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063688/

There are also some great scenes at South Station (the RR side).

Jon
Last edited by jonnhrr on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #759232  by BostonUrbEx

That sign looks exactly like [at least, to my memory] like the sign which still exists in one of the Chinatown emergency exits, a former entrance.
 #759261  by 3rdrail

I'd have to watch the movie again. but I think it's Summer Street Station by Summer/Hawley. It's not Boylston, BostonUrbEx.
 #759266  by MBTA3247

jonnhrr wrote:The movie was made in 1968 by the way. (The original with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway).
It was released in 1968, but as BigUglyCat said, the actual filming was probably in 1967.
 #759336  by 3rdrail

I just finished watching the movie, rented on Amazon ($2.99) I'm going to change my guess as State Street Station (formerly Milk), not because it would make sense by location (the bank that's robbed is the National shawmut Bank Building at 55 Congress St. - it's something else now), but by the small door to the actor's left, which I believe is still present. If you watch it, notice at the beginning where Paul Burke and Faye Dunaway meet at Copps Hill, they look down at precisely the spot where the Purity Distilling Co.'s molassis tank burst in 1919, bending the elevated structure on Commercial Street. This is a great vintage Boston movie which also has some short scenes in the beginning of the Boston & Albany tracks in the Back Bay as well as pre-renovated South Station.
 #759347  by jaymac

I haven't seen the first Thomas Crown Affair since its first release, but one of the memories I have is that geographical reality was a casualty of visuals. Unless I've slipped into delusion yet again, I remember a scene of Jack Weston making a call from an outdoor phone booth, setting things up, taken from the Cambridge Street bridge over the B&A with Beacon Park forming the background. Unless his character had just come from the not-yet-open Allston Depot sports bar or he took a seriously wrong turn somewhere on Beacon Street or needed to get an overhead shot of The New England States from the bridge, Allston is at best a questionable locale. Probably a small army of location scouts went here, there, and everywhere, looking for places that would look good on the screen, local, not locale, logic to the contrary.
 #759440  by 3rdrail

jaymac wrote:I haven't seen the first Thomas Crown Affair since its first release, but one of the memories I have is that geographical reality was a casualty of visuals. Unless I've slipped into delusion yet again, I remember a scene of Jack Weston making a call from an outdoor phone booth, setting things up, taken from the Cambridge Street bridge over the B&A with Beacon Park forming the background. Unless his character had just come from the not-yet-open Allston Depot sports bar or he took a seriously wrong turn somewhere on Beacon Street or needed to get an overhead shot of The New England States from the bridge, Allston is at best a questionable locale. Probably a small army of location scouts went here, there, and everywhere, looking for places that would look good on the screen, local, not locale, logic to the contrary.
Hahaha!! Enjoyed your post ! That's the movie biz ! Our hobby is trains. There is a hobby which some people enjoy which is finding inconsistencies/bloopers in movies. This one wasn't too bad. That scene that you mention was at Cambridge/Linden Sts., and I can see Jack Weston being directed to remain outside the downtown area in an area like Allston. In fact, all the robbers can be seen making their way into the city just prior to the robbery. (Looks like Yaphet Kotto came in on a New Haven commuter train to South Station.) A big gaff in this film is the Mass Pike getaway sequence. Jack Weston is all over the Pike with no logical continuation whatsoever ! hahaha!!! For Boston, I recall "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" as being pretty accurate (another great flick.) For San Francisco, Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" is supposed to be the most logical for continuation and accuracy of location. For anyone, if you ever get the chance to watch a movie being made, it is an interesting experience. The end is filmed last, the beginning mid-point, and the mid-point first. Each location shooting takes many hours. I'll bet that it took close to a full day to shoot the scene where Yaphet Kotto is seen exiting the subway.