Railroad Forums 

• PCC Replacement questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1465126  by Ryand-Smith

As we all know, the PCCS are old, older than me by far, and I think older than most of us posters here. Now we all realize they will have to be replaced as the tragic accidents show, because time and age means damage happens. So I have a question, what modern LRV and Streetcars that exist could replace them with minimal retrofits?

From Google searches, Brookdale offers Replicars which are effectly a modern brand new streetcar in a classic form, so I assume they could easily (since the copyright is long gone), build a brand new shell, stuff new modern IGBT and electronic controls, put new motors and high tech components and a wheelchair lift and call it PCC Next Generation and we could do that.

For bridges we are concerned about weight, and using basic math, the PCC at 42,000 pounds divided by the area of a PCC (at 52 feet by 9 feet gives you 93 foot/pounds of force

AmeriTram appears to be slightly bigger but its force over area at 70,000 pounds divided by its area (65 by 8 feet) gives you a whopping 134 or so pounds of force which approaches design limits (assuming you can handle 160% of the bridge which... is doable.

S70 is about 114 pounds of force per unit of tram which isn't AS awful, and could pe purchased off the shelf.

Brookdale's own Liberty is 120 pounds per force and is smaller.

Fundamentally, it comes down to it could be done with only minor improvements (room for switching as these streetcars would not need to be turned as they are bi-directional, so the operator could simply move to the other end, thus reducing the need for a harsh rotational turn), and a larger storage facility.
 #1465223  by R36 Combine Coach

Brookville not only has built replica car shells, but also PCC-IIs (complete rebuild PCC shell, all new electrical, traction and braking and other equipment).

Being a historian, I prefer the PCC-II option, but an all new replica PCC shell would do fine as well.

With continuous maintenance and rebuilding, even a PCC could last "indefinitely" into the future. SF-MUNI noted the recent rebuild of their 1948 PCCs have allowed at least 70+ more years in service.
 #1624411  by Jeff Smith

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/you-m ... de-old-pcc
You might have another decade to ride the old PCC trolleys on the Mattapan Line

The Dorchester Reporter provides an update on the MBTA's plans to replace the current 1940s trolleys on the Mattapan Line with more recent Green Line trolleys: It could take a decade to get everything ready and would involve the elimination of the current loop track at Ashmont.
 #1624419  by typesix

SEPTA is rebuilding its PCCIIs for when Route 15 re-opens, except they are doing it in-house. Brookville did it back in the 2000s. The T rebuilds are almost the same as the PCCIIs as the propulsion and trucks are from Brookville. The cars are finally getting back their resilient wheels.