Railroad Forums 

• Wellingtion Yard Overhall

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1441667  by dieciduej

With the upcoming arrival of the new Orange Line #14s they are overhauling the Wellington Yard/Carhouse. It involves adding a new service bay, adjacent to the SB platform. They have ripped up the outside "Pit Track" and will be moving over the roadway over to that location. A new service bay will be built on what is now the roadway. Also new trackage will be added to house the two fleets of trains, #12s and #14s, until the #12s get sent to the transit system in the sky. I am not sure if those tracks will be powered on just tail tracks. This was done during the #11s and #12s transition.

Also the test track from just north of Wellington to Community College will be refurbished, with new ties and maybe rail. They have already cordoned off the test track and pulled the third rail and dumped it by the wayside. Since I was off yesterday I was able to catch the track gang starting the work the Wellington area.
Wellington Track Gang
Wellington Track Gang
Track Gang.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 7518 times
Track Gang HiRailer
Track Gang HiRailer
Work HiRail.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 7518 times
Last night on my return it only looks like they pulled the running rail at the very end of the test track by the Route 16 Revere Beach Parkway Bridge.

JoeD
 #1441670  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Are they going to be using the connection to the outside world at the Medford Branch switch to shove construction materials for the yard overhaul? I noticed on Google that the latest 2017 imagery refresh (make sure to turn 3D off on the menu) shows a new round of brush-cutting all the way to the switch at the north end of the Craddock Ave. retaining wall. This was barely 2 years after they mowed down all the crazy overgrowth that left that derelict track completely obscured and was starting to encroach on the inbound track, so was wondering the reason for another trim job so soon. Either it's for eventual Wellington access or just so MassHighway can get personnel in pickups underneath the ongoing Route 16 overpass construction.
 #1441755  by dieciduej

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Are they going to be using the connection to the outside world at the Medford Branch switch to shove construction materials for the yard overhaul? I noticed on Google that the latest 2017 imagery refresh (make sure to turn 3D off on the menu) shows a new round of brush-cutting all the way to the switch at the north end of the Craddock Ave. retaining wall. This was barely 2 years after they mowed down all the crazy overgrowth that left that derelict track completely obscured and was starting to encroach on the inbound track, so was wondering the reason for another trim job so soon. Either it's for eventual Wellington access or just so MassHighway can get personnel in pickups underneath the ongoing Route 16 overpass construction.
I've heard that the cleanup in 2015 was just so crews could practice track work. Like all things MBTA every so many years there is an exodus of the knowledge base so there is a need for training. There was no move to bring rail supplies and or new cars on flats through the Medford Branch connection.

JoeD
 #1441756  by dieciduej

Today I noticed the side of the test track in the area between Community College NB and the start of the Orange Line flyover, next to the recycling plant and Boston Sand & Gravel truck parking has been cleared of junk and a large stock pile of new ties have been stacked. Also here is a picture of the end of the test track in the Wellington area.
End of Test Track at Wellington
End of Test Track at Wellington
End of Test Track.JPG (1009.52 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
JoeD
 #1441829  by BostonUrbEx

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I noticed on Google that the latest 2017 imagery refresh (make sure to turn 3D off on the menu) shows a new round of brush-cutting all the way to the switch at the north end of the Craddock Ave. retaining wall.
The imagery is deceiving, because it is from the late winter/early spring. There has not been a major brush cutting this year, and taking a walk now that we're post-spring will certainly prove that to be true. It is difficult just walking in there right now.
 #1442303  by dieciduej

The test track in the Wellington Station platform area has now be ripped up. The rails, running, guard and third, have been placed against the fence. My guess for reuse, since it has low mileage as compared to main line rail. The switches at the ends of the Wellington Station platforms that connect to the main line have been left in place and covered with either a steel plate or a wood decking. All of the old ties are being stacked at the bottom of the Orange Line flyover for disposal.
Wellington Station Test Track (Platform)
Wellington Station Test Track (Platform)
Wellington_Test_Track_Platform.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 7077 times
JoeD
 #1442434  by BostonUrbEx

While they're at it, they should rebuild it up to railroad specs, including clearances past the platforms. When testing is completely, rig it up for doubling tracking the Western Route.
 #1443623  by StefanW

Right now there is continuing work ripping up the test track rails & ties. The crew has already proceeded south of Sullivan, and as I type this is starting up the incline on the fly-over. I'm very surprised that it's a total re-do. In the area around Sullivan there is nothing left but the ballast!
 #1443624  by StefanW

Also there are massive numbers of new ties stacked between Community College and the tunnel portal. The ends of most of the ties have either red or orange paint, likely to differentiate them from ones for railroad use.
 #1443873  by StefanW

StefanW wrote:Also there are massive numbers of new ties stacked between Community College and the tunnel portal. The ends of most of the ties have either red or orange paint, likely to differentiate them from ones for railroad use.
Correction - those stacks of new ties are between Community College and the fly-over incline.

Also on closer inspection it looks like lots of the rail (third rail and running rail) is just shoved to the side of the RoW, so maybe it is just a complete tie job with re-grading after all. Also it looks like the buried cables (or at least the conduits) are left in place.
 #1443956  by BandA

I assume the ties would be the same? So painting is for inventory control? Or are the "subway" ties smaller diameter?
 #1443960  by dieciduej

BandA wrote:I assume the ties would be the same? So painting is for inventory control? Or are the "subway" ties smaller diameter?
At one time every 5th tie was longer to support the third rail insulator but now I believe they are all the same length.
StefanW wrote:Also on closer inspection it looks like lots of the rail (third rail and running rail) is just shoved to the side of the RoW, so maybe it is just a complete tie job with re-grading after all. Also it looks like the buried cables (or at least the conduits) are left in place.
That is my understanding of it. The ties weather, original 1974 so 43 years or so and the rail is about the same vintage but definitely not the same mileage as the main line. When they were doing the Assembly Sq station project and the track shoe-fly that was the most use it got in its entire lifetime. I also noted that some of the guard rails used on the bridge were stamped 1951 vintage and were well worn, I say some old laying around in the yards. Good old Yankee thrift!

JoeD
 #1444040  by MBTA3247

Correct. The idea is to keep a derailed train from veering too far to either side and possibly toppling off the bridge.

You will also see guardrails up close against the running rails at switches and on the inside rail of tight curves. In those cases, the guard rail is there to push against the back side of the flange to prevent a derailment from occurring in the first place.
 #1444055  by BandA

You could use rails that are "worn", don't have the right profile, etc as guard rails since the wheels aren't running on top of them! I thought I read somewhere that wooden ties are good for about 40 years in average conditions.