Railroad Forums 

• Work Trains / Equipment Moves

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1382739  by GP40MC1118

After completing their own work, today's Fitchburg Route stone train brought 7 loads
of stone to the Grand Jct passing track for Monday's Worcester line stone train.

This means Sunday's Middleboro Extra will have to switch out cars on the Grand Jct
in order to recover the three cars they need to bring to Middleboro.

D
 #1382849  by F-line to Dudley via Park

GP40MC1118 wrote:I understand the stone is trucked in from the Dracut area, but that will be ending at some
point this season. Word is either the E. Deerfield quarry or Lane in Westfield will be
providing stone.

D
So...PAR if it's E. Deerfiels and CSX if it's Westfield? Both quarries have mainline rail sidings.
 #1383558  by GP40MC1118

Friday 6AM Southampton St - Worcester Stone Train...Dumps between CP24-28.

Saturday: Cape Flyer Qualifying Trains out of Middleboro to Hyannis

Saturday: Kingston/Middleboro Extra at Readville - Bring 5 engines to Kingston Layover for storage.
Bring Control Car 1529 to Middleboro, lite engine back to Southampton St.

D
 #1383644  by octr202

I'm sure many of us expected the GP40MCs to go first, but perhaps the -2C's were really in worse shape. That fleet seems to be what's getting sidelined now that the HSPs are on the property.

Hopefully they're being stored properly so they can be rehabbed easily if there's another power shortage.
 #1383647  by F-line to Dudley via Park

octr202 wrote:I'm sure many of us expected the GP40MCs to go first, but perhaps the -2C's were really in worse shape. That fleet seems to be what's getting sidelined now that the HSPs are on the property.

Hopefully they're being stored properly so they can be rehabbed easily if there's another power shortage.
The considerably younger PHM-2C's are getting hit hard too. Right now it's 7 of the circa-'87-88 -2C's out for major engine repairs, and 3 of the circa-'91-93 PHM's out for major repair. That's the first time the casualties have hit double-digit units, so they're falling further and further behind the pace on repairs. To hear the employees tell it on other threads, the Geeps are in pretty abysmal shape overall. I imagine the current dead line makeup is chalked up to little more than dumb luck that the Geeps have somehow avoided the repair queue and bad luck that the -2C's have been hit extra-hard.

Something has to give here. Falling far behind pace on the long-term OOS backlog during spring harms their ability to catch up before summer heat's extra strain on HEP loads starts affecting uptime on the more brittle in-service units, dumping a new surge of day-to-day aches and pains on BET's lap. Maybe it's time to ring up P&W's shop for some outsource work if they're that short-staffed or short on shop space to be able to handle a taken-apart engine tying up a garage bay for weeks at a time.
 #1383668  by Komarovsky

Saw 904 this evening going through Back Back light engine on track 5 a little past 5. Bit unusual and certainly gave the people on the platforms something to talk about.
 #1383675  by GP40MC1118

Speaking of the Grand Jct Branch...

Seems some of the locals down towards the Memorial Drive end are upset of the increased
traffic during the day on the branch ( i.e. - The Stone Trains). They have been protesting
and messing with the equipment. Transit PD were called earlier this week I guess...

And you want to run more passenger trains!

The Peoples Republic of Cambridge strikes again!

D
 #1383727  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Lemme guess..."Friends of the Charles River White Geese".

That's not the City of Cambridge, it's some sort of doomsday cult. I'd link to the latest word salad from their frequently-updated blog, but that's a wee too much crazy for early on a Saturday morning. :P
 #1383737  by The EGE

I have never met an animal I wanted to eat more than that flock of geese. They're nasty and aggressive even by the low standards of geese.