• 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dbperry

dbperry wrote:
dbperry wrote:P506 struck something in Ashland this morning. I'll have a full write-up on my blog on the service recovery sometime when I can write it up...
blog post up:

http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/what ... iday-11416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The plot thickens:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/1 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Damaged train was allowed to carry passengers"
The commuter rail train involved in an unreported accident earlier this month was returned to regular service before the front-end damage was discovered, transit officials acknowledged Tuesday, a safety lapse that could have endangered passengers on one of the MBTA’s busiest commuter lines.

The train was damaged in the early morning of Nov. 4 when it struck a barrier at low speed, with no passengers on board. But workers for Keolis Commuter Services, which runs the commuter rail system, failed to report the accident, and the train returned to regular service.

Later that morning, the train was halted in the middle of a rush-hour trip from Worcester to Boston because of a problem with the damaged plow, delaying hundreds of riders.

A day after the week-old accident was publicly disclosed, transit officials confirmed that Federal Railroad Administration investigators are reviewing the incident.
Previous story regarding unreported damage:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by BostonUrbEx

I was wondering the same. It seems it would have blown over and never have seen the light of day had the MBTA and Keolis not brought it up to the FMCB.
  by octr202

^^Strange things can happen during slippery rail season. :-)

Last night, 430 was T-Alerted as dead, sounded like somewhere near Shirley.

This morning, the T Alerts made it sound like 150's equipment almost didn't make it out of the yard in Newburyport, but then 102 picked up the challenge and died in Rockport.

Dropping like flies, maybe faster?
  by 8th Notch

octr202 wrote:^^Strange things can happen during slippery rail season. :-)
In most cases, yes but hardly the reason in this situation as there are no trees in or around the bunter or terminal.
  by dbperry

8th Notch wrote:I was wondering how long until that came out!
I'm now also wondering why they didn't present the whole story when they made the report to the FMCB.

There were potentially two cover-ups in this entire story: the first when the crew didn't report the damage. The second when the report to the FMCB didn't include the full story. I'm not sure if the general public sees any difference between the two, but both of them are concerning for different reasons. The first because of the public safety implications, the second because of the undermining of the transparency effort. Even if both were unintentional 'cover-ups,' the public will definitely perceive these as cover-ups, and perception is sometimes more important than reality.
  by octr202

8th Notch wrote:
octr202 wrote:^^Strange things can happen during slippery rail season. :-)
In most cases, yes but hardly the reason in this situation as there are no trees in or around the bunter or terminal.
Posted on wrong page! Was in response to:
Diverging Route wrote:Someone in the T-Alert department needs a lesson in reading schedules!

Haverhill Line Train 219 (6:25 pm from North Station) is operating 10-15 minutes late between West Medford & Lowell due to slippery rail conditions.

Affected direction: Outbound

Last updated: Nov 15 2016 06:45 PM
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

was only a matter of time before the true story came to light...
  by octr202

Lovely morning up north.

200 ~30 mins late, blamed on PAR interference at Haverhill. Smaller delays to following trains.

303 appears to have died somewhere on it's way to Lowell, with 305 taking a hit behind it. 304 cancelled, and 308 now described as 'significantly late.' 206 will be making stops at the W's on the Lowell Line to cover for delays to the 300 series trains.

And it's only 7:30 AM...
  by deathtopumpkins

Apparently there was a trespasser fatality last night on the Worcester line in Wellesley.
  by chefsef

I was on the train before it, 523 the last express departing 540PM.

We stopped at the Farms and I got off once I heard it was a "passenger strike" (!), and walked up Glen Rd to Route 16 as Uber'g with the 100's of other folks plus the lack of cell signal made more sense. And Uber wasn't working at all. Once I got to 16, I saw "Peter's Pizza" at 55 Washington St (Route 16) and got a slice. Uber arrived 20 minutes later. The Uber experience I'll post on another forum.

Got to Westborough Commuter rail lot and got home at 8ish. Saw alerts about a "Bus bridge" and restricted speeds from Wellesley Square to Framingham, but no feeds on 523.

I am on the 512 inbound which is about to rescue the broken down 510 at Ashland!

Conductor who was on the train last night told me, there were no busses. And they moved east toward Auburndale, then finally west slowly through the crime scene and picked up the stranded passengers from the train that was involved.

He said they got everyone off the train at one of the Wellesley's to await bus bridge, but then got everyone off once dispatch told them, "No buses". Didn't get to Worcester until 910.

Next stop Ashland, I wonder how long the rescue will take.
  by harshaw

The scandal is that the Worcester super express (552) blew by passengers sitting in Ashland (from the broken down 510) without picking them up. That's horrible.

These are riders who potentially boarded the train in Worcester at 7:30AM but didnt' get to Boston until around 10:30 AM (aboard the 512).
  by Diverging Route

Alright then! Glad to see the NSRL is up and operating :)
Lowell Train 1309 (4:00 pm from North Station) has departed South Station & is operating 5-15 min behind schedule en route to Lowell Station.

Last updated: Nov 19 2016 04:09 PM