Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1391831  by dm1120

sonicdoommario wrote:Under the old schedule, Providence train 811 (3:30PM from South Station), had a 6 bi-level car train set. The similar train is train 817 now (3:25PM from South Station). I've noticed that this train normally has 4 bi-levels/2 flats.

The biggest difference is that the old 811 was an all-stop train from South Station to Providence. The new 817 is a Ruggles to Sharon express (skipping Hyde Park/128/Canton Junction), and goes all the way down to Wickford Junction.

Does the MBTA believe they lost a good amount of ridership by removing those 3 stops to justify the smaller train set, that wasn't offset by the new TF Green/Wickford riders?
Route 128 and Canton Junction have pretty heavy ridership so it wouldn't surprise me if that factored into their decision to reduce the cars.
 #1393445  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

there are 2 sets running around the South side with loco's acting as Control Cars...as of Monday morning that is. IDK if that was changed during the mid day breaks. The 010 had 4 doubles and a 20** bringing up the rear, and the 2007 had 6 doubles with the 1125 as the markers (1125 was only used as power, no HEP)
 #1393925  by sonicdoommario

Does anyone know the train sets for trains 819 (3:55 PM to Providence) and 827 (6:10PM to Providence)?

Train 819 is a Ruggles to Sharon express that stops at Providence. Under the old schedule, train 813 (which departed at 4:08) was a Hyde Park to Sharon express (I assume the Hyde Park stop was to buy the Acela directly behind us some time at 128 just up ahead), and went to Wickford Junction. It was normally a 7 bi-level set (that and the engineer of that train was pretty horn-friendly when taking off and blowing through 128 and Canton Junction, really enjoyed riding that train at my last job). So the new train drops Hyde Park, TF Green, and Wickford. Is it still 7 doubles, or was that enough to shrink the train?

827 has the same departure time as its predecessor, 821. The only difference was that 128 was dropped from the schedule. This was normally a 5 double set, although I've never seen the train with that (most of the time it was 3 doubles and 3 flats). I'd imagine dropping 128 took some heat off the train?

I'd also assume that trains 821 (4:30 to Wickford Junction) and 823 (4:55 to Providence) remain at 7 doubles. Especially considering that 821 now goes to Wickford Junction (while its predecessor, 815, which departed at 4:35, terminated at Providence). Now 823 adds 128 to its stops (while terminating at Providence and not Wickford), unlike its predecessor, 817 (5:00 to Wickford) which was a Ruggles to Sharon train. I'm sure that's probably a net gain of passengers (trading 128 for TF Green/Wickford).
 #1394033  by nomis

819 is typically a 5 double set. It's comfy, but not SRO on most days I take it.
 #1397274  by sonicdoommario

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Tis the 1116 on the East of that set, with a 20** on the other end of it. There is indeed a cab car shortage. Lots of cars OOS at BET.....becoming a real mess, lots of 4 car sets South side, along with smaller than usual sets
I know when I went to Boston last Thursday 808/825 was a 7 double set, not 8 (not even 7 doubles and a flat). One of the conductors on 825 mentioned that there would be no quiet car since they were short a car. Which was odd, since two nights before I saw an 8 car set come through Attleboro at 10:50ishPM (had control car 1722, which was almost always used on the 7 double/1 flat set too).

I've noticed train 821 (4:30 from South Station) at 6 doubles and 1 flat. I think this same set is used for the 843/842 Attleboro short turn, since I saw that same config when in the parking lot last week in Attleboro (I get there as train 842 leaves, that way I'm the first in line for 808 at the back of the train so I can bump up my chances of getting an open seat).

While standing at the station, 803 stops by (normally 3 doubles and 2 flats), and I think that train turns and becomes 812. I think last week it was short a car, at 3 doubles and 1 single.
 #1400501  by charlesriverbranch

Around noontime today (Sunday), I was walking up Highland Avenue toward Needham Center when I heard a train horn sounding for the Great Plain Avenue crossing. I thought that strange enough, since the Needham Line isn't supposed to run on Sundays, but what showed up was an MBTA F40PH pulling four single level cars: the first and last in ordinary MBTA paint, but the second lettered for the Cape Flyer; the third car was an Amtrak Amfleet coach. This train proceeded to the yard at Needham Heights, where it tied up; I believe it is stil there, as I haven't heard any more train horns.

What was anything doing out on a Sunday on the Needham Line? Why only a four car consist? And what was the Amfleet car doing there?
 #1400535  by dbperry

I've heard that the 4 coach minimum for MBTA Commuter Rail is also for train sets to have adequate braking effort.

This is an old page so I'm not sure how much equipment has changed, but you can get the basic idea of the what the geometry car is all about:
http://www.oocities.org/perkins8/car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1400601  by Backshophoss

Believe Amtrak keeps the onboard software current,the only major change is that pan was removed,
a former Metroliner coach used in early Mi passenger service has been converted for catenary inspections.
AMTK 10002,Corridor Clipper is a regular visitor on MBTA trackage.
 #1400620  by NeedhamLine

Spotted this morning on train 606 from Needham Heights - the photo is blurry, but the sticker says "PAT McGINNIS please come back"

That's a sentiment I've never heard before (unless they're only referring to the logo).
Attachments:
McGinnis.JPG
McGinnis.JPG (487.31 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
 #1401479  by ns3010

Backshophoss wrote:MBTA has a 4 car requirement for track shunting to work properly(signals).
dbperry wrote:I've heard that the 4 coach minimum for MBTA Commuter Rail is also for train sets to have adequate braking effort.
Whatever the reason(s) they claim to have, it's a load of crap. Plenty of other commuter RRs run shorter consists without shunting or braking issues. Both NJT and MN run 3PP sets daily. NJT runs a single MU pair to Princeton, and SEPTA runs a single MU (might be a pair, but irrelevant) to Cynwyd. Several other smaller outfits also run consists in the 2-3PP range (SunRail, Northstar, FrontRunner, to name a few).