Railroad Forums 

• Needham Line Questions / Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1442064  by Disney Guy

Track occupancy sensing using the wheels of the train works like a simple make or break switch to complete the circuit. An ohmmeter would not be relevant except to further narrow down a problem where applying or removing the shunt did not change the signals and indicate the occupancy or non-occupancy.
 #1442560  by johnpbarlow

No Saturday service today on Needham line due to PTC installation per status sign at Needham Heights.
Attachments:
IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3513.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5032 times
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 5032 times
 #1443418  by johnpbarlow

Today's PTC installation work at Needham Heights involves Dagle Electrical Construction installing wood utility poles at the station - no idea for what purpose. Also track barricade is erected at the station platform facing a hypothetical inbound train. Interesting that on one rail, the barricade's metal cross piece sits on an insulating rag presumably to not shunt the track circuit?
Attachments:
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 4834 times
 #1443510  by NeedhamLine

The trackside poles now extend all the way from Needham to Forest Hills - I take the Needham Line daily and it surprised me how quickly they finished that phase of the project.

I'm not a PTC/ACSES expert, but it seems archaic to be stringing fiber optic wire on poles - I would think that would make the system more vulnerable to branches falling onto the ROW, which seems to happen often on this line. Perhaps poles were chosen for lower cost or shorter installation time to meet the PTC deadline?

Too bad they couldn't have substituted galvanized steel poles, moved them closer to the tracks and strung up some catenary while nobody was looking...
 #1443516  by MBTA3247

NeedhamLine wrote:Too bad they couldn't have substituted galvanized steel poles, moved them closer to the tracks and strung up some catenary while nobody was looking...
That would have made too much sense. :P
 #1443610  by NeedhamLine

BandA wrote:I thought the poles were for the wifi fiber, while the PTC fiber was being buried.
That would make too much sense! According to this PTC summary http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About ... OSTING.pdf the PTC installation will include 230 miles of new pole lines and 50 miles of upgraded existing pole lines.

So there may be some signal-related delays when trees/branches come down, but at least passengers will have speedy Wi-Fi to keep ourselves entertained while we wait.
 #1443655  by BostonUrbEx

NeedhamLine wrote:but at least passengers will have speedy Wi-Fi to keep ourselves entertained while we wait.
Not quite, seeing as the wifi plan is on the verge of being gutted by the general public.