Railroad Forums 

• Accident at Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#65508  by 7 Train

That top car is a total writeoff.

#65518  by efin98

It looks like the one on the bottom isn't doing much better. Looks like a mismatched pair in the making when things are all worked out...

#65579  by etna9726b

But note how the occupied car (bottom) retained it's form, and didn't crush down on any occupants inside. Very fortunate. Credit also goes to the operator who advised riders to evacuate.

#65584  by efin98

Might come down to how damaged the cab is. From the looks of the photos and video, I think it's a goner or needs extensive overhauling to be of any use to the WMATA again. I'm not sure if the end that is under the runaway train was head end or the tail end but if it was the head end it's either a miracle the opator survived or s/he had enough sense to see what was going on and got out him/herself and the passengers out of the way.

IMHO the operator should be praised for doing an excellant job of evacuating passengers, might be a lesson in there that could be used in the event something like that(or god forbid, worse) should happen again...

#65816  by usa4624

Does anybody know which cars were involved?

#65981  by Yonge

The train that was stopped at the station had cars 4018-4019-4017-4016-4093-4092. In the photo above, 4018 is the car on the bottom.

The car that hit the 4018 is a Rohr car (1000-1299 series), but I could not tell which one. I heard on TV that this train had 6 cars built in the 1970s, so that would indicate all 6 were Rohr cars.

#66807  by Robert Paniagua

efin98 wrote:Might come down to how damaged the cab is. From the looks of the photos and video, I think it's a goner or needs extensive overhauling to be of any use to the WMATA again. I'm not sure if the end that is under the runaway train was head end or the tail end but if it was the head end it's either a miracle the opator survived or s/he had enough sense to see what was going on and got out him/herself and the passengers out of the way.

IMHO the operator should be praised for doing an excellant job of evacuating passengers, might be a lesson in there that could be used in the event something like that(or god forbid, worse) should happen again...
I think that car will have to be sent to the recycle bin with our hometown Type 7 3679 when it crashed in Newton Center. It doesn't look salvageable at all. :-(

#67060  by ctaman34

Yonge wrote:The train that was stopped at the station had cars 4018-4019-4017-4016-4093-4092. In the photo above, 4018 is the car on the bottom.

The car that hit the 4018 is a Rohr car (1000-1299 series), but I could not tell which one. I heard on TV that this train had 6 cars built in the 1970s, so that would indicate all 6 were Rohr cars.
The Rohr car involved was 1077

heres a link on Ben Schumin's web page:
http://transit.schuminweb.com/transit/r ... cident.asp

#67112  by Robert Paniagua

At least it wasn't a Breda or a newer coach, there are already several Rohrs yanked due to wrecks, first one to head to the recycle bin were 01028/29 (1982 Blue Line wreck) and maybe 01114/15 (organ donors for parts, I think).

#68650  by Silverliner II

HOLY SHAMOLEY!!

And I thought the Federal Triangle accident of 1982 was a bad one...

At least nobody was killed in this one! Thank goodness for the station ceilings being vaulted like that in most stations...

Joe

#70592  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I also remember about that crash in 1982 at Federal Triangle, which of course involved only #1s (Rohr), since no Bredas were on the road back then. Both of those cars were ultimately sent to the trash can, and these other Rohrs that were wrecked at Woodley Park/Zoo may as well go with 01028/29.

#86515  by Tommy Meehan

I read that the operator of the lead train, the one that got out of control and rolled backwards, has been fired "due to his actions." But none of the news stories I read explained what those actions were. Does anyone know?

This accident is so unusual. I can't think of another incident where an operator lost control of a train and had it roll backwards out of control. The incident began with the lead train stalling, right? Could the operator have left his position without fully setting the brakes? Was the train in manual or computer mode? So many questions....so few answers.

At least no one was killed, thanks largely to the alertness of the operator of the train stopped at Ridley Park.

Tommy Meehan