Railroad Forums 

• VRE's 11mi of High Speed Rail (Arkendale - Powell's Creek)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1070075  by Jersey_Mike

You know what I mean. Providing the infrastructure for high quality passenger service. CSX is the single most important factor in the passenger rail equation. It sets the speeds the trains can run, dispatches the trains and sets their priority and probably has some say in their scheduling. Oh, it also maintains the tracks which is another significant factor in OTP.
 #1082999  by orulz

It seems FRA and CSX have managed to work out their differences - the triple track project which I had written off as dead is actually going to happen!

I'm not sure the specifics of the agreement, but in the process, management of the project shifted from VRE (a fully passenger-focused agency) to VDRPT (which administers both freight and passenger rail programs throughout the Commonwealth.)
 #1083044  by Arlington

orulz wrote:It seems FRA and CSX have managed to work out their differences...management of the project shifted from VRE (a fully passenger-focused agency) to VDRPT (which administers both freight and passenger rail programs throughout the Commonwealth.)
Yippee! I'm guessing that VDRPT used a much wider range of carrots and sticks that you allude to, like port improvements, Long Bridge replacement, Richmond-Petersburg upgrades, etc. etc. VRE, as just a renter, didn't have much leverage.
 #1083091  by orulz

On a slightly related note, what are the major obstacles on the RF&P when it comes to adding triple-track between DC and Fredericksburg?
Did I miss anything? Are any of these existing bridges old or in otherwise poor condition?

Given its route along the Potomac, it seems like there is a large number of long, high bridges on this route. This is bound to be an expensive triple track project. Is there any talk of realigning some curves or otherwise straightening the route? It would be nice to see 110+mph at least from Woodbridge south. Tier II EIS work for Richmond-DC is supposed to start sometime this fall.
 #1083354  by afiggatt

orulz wrote:On a slightly related note, what are the major obstacles on the RF&P when it comes to adding triple-track between DC and Fredericksburg?
Did I miss anything? Are any of these existing bridges old or in otherwise poor condition?

Given its route along the Potomac, it seems like there is a large number of long, high bridges on this route. This is bound to be an expensive triple track project. Is there any talk of realigning some curves or otherwise straightening the route? It would be nice to see 110+mph at least from Woodbridge south. Tier II EIS work for Richmond-DC is supposed to start sometime this fall.
Adding a 3rd track along the entire RF&P is more than just dealing with the bridges across the rivers and streams. You have to look at road bridges over the tracks and other obstructions. There is a 2006 VDRPT DC to Richmond Third Track Feasibility Study that reviewed the ROW issues and came up with initial minimum cost estimates: http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/activities/files/HD78.pdf (100 page PDF file). The study covered the RF&P from Arlington south of the Long Bridge to Richmond. Challenging segments specifically not covered in the feasibility study include the tracks through downtown Ashland and the elevated tracks through Fredericksburg.

You could pick through the report for the north of Fredericksburg segment and try to get a guess estimate on the cost of completing a 3rd track from Dahlgren Junction to Franconia. Three tracks is a lot for a safe grade crossing, so there may be a preference to separate all the remaining grade crossings north of Fredericksburg, which could add a lot to the cost.
 #1084833  by Station Aficionado

afiggatt wrote:You could pick through the report for the north of Fredericksburg segment and try to get a guess estimate on the cost of completing a 3rd track from Dahlgren Junction to Franconia. Three tracks is a lot for a safe grade crossing, so there may be a preference to separate all the remaining grade crossings north of Fredericksburg, which could add a lot to the cost.
Interesting point. I don't think there are any grade crossings south of DC until you get to Featherstone Rd. south of Woodbridge. Then' there's Cherry Hill Rd. and two or three at Quantico. There are another three or four for fairly small roads in Stafford County. I don't think much can be done about Cherry Hill. It serves a couple of businesses on the river that have no other access and I'd guess it's too close to the waterline for any practical separation. I'd think at least one of the Quantico crossings could simply be closed. Ditto for at least a couple of the Stafford crossings. So grade crossing elimination might not be as expensive as it appears at first glance (although Featherstone Rd. has a good bit of traffic, and that would be a pretty major separation project).
 #1086146  by strench707

At the Cherry Hill crossing there is Tim's Rivershore Restaurant (an awesome place) that gets a lot of patronage. Currently cars park right up by the tracks as overflow, right in the location where the third track will be laid. It will be interesting how all of this gets worked out. There is also a small siding there.

Davis
 #1132238  by Arlington

Arlington wrote:Here is a Google Map of Powell's Creek to Arkendale 3rd Track project that I made.

It is based on a PDF project-location map on the http://www.drpt.virginia.gov site.

The 11 miles of the project are basically centered on Quantico, starting about 5 miles north, and ending about 6 miles south of the Quantico station. The future Cherry Hill station is actually at the northern tip of the project, just south of the Powell's Creek bridge.
Is any construction yet visible?
 #1272877  by Arlington

Who is "the client" for the project? VRE or VDOT? I seem to recall that initially VRE and CSX were getting nowhere so that VDOT came in because it was able to use the statewide "big picture" as carrot and stick. Somewhere there should be somebody who shows a public contract as having been awarded by [VRE or VDOT] to [Contractor]for [Contract Cost] and completion [Date]. Any ideas?
 #1301552  by Literalman

In a Sep. 3 online chat, VRE said that the work is related to a third track:

julie from FBurg asks:
What is the work being done along the tracks between Quantico and Brooke?

VRE Management:
Utility re-location in preparation for construction of an additional third track.
 #1301555  by Arlington

Literalman wrote:VRE Management:
Utility re-location in preparation for construction of an additional third track.
At last!