Railroad Forums 

• Limited Run-Through: VRE to College Park Green&Purple

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1418074  by Arlington

In other threads (mods can combine) we have covered:
- MARC Brunswick can't be connected to VRE without fouling the whole of WUT.
- VRE is low platform but MARC Penn is high
- MARC can't get to L'Enfant due to track and platform shortage
- MARC can't cross the Long Bridge due to slot constraints

...but that leaves VRE-MARC Camden...or at least MARC Camden as far as College Park.

College Park:
- Is low platform
- Has space if you needed to mix low VRE and (future) MARC high level platform ops (even end-to-end)
- Already has the Green Line
- Will have the Purple Line by 2022
- Is on the Ivy City side of things, simplifying deadhead moves

- Could also serve existing MARC station in the Riverdale/Hyattsville area (if MD funded)
- Could support a new stop in the Ivy City - Langdon area (if DC funded)

Thoughts? Would it be in Maryland's interest to pay to have it serve all low platforms, all the way to Camden Sta Baltimore?
It also would widen the choice set when shopping for larger, long-term layover capacity.
 #1418131  by STrRedWolf

Well... you know, this is why I love Wikimapia.

There's no interlocking immediately north of College Park until you pass Greenbelt (which is a logical place to turn a train, plus there is one low-level platform there) and go almost all the way to Muirkurk, where the Ammendale interlocking is.

South of College Park, you got JD and RIVERDALE PARK interlocks... south of Riverdale station. I think if you want to turn trains properly, you need another rail and an interlocking or two.

To get there, I think you'll foul Penn line traffic regularly as well, and for added service, CSX is mandating another rail line all the way up.

Not going to happen anytime soon.
 #1418172  by MCL1981

No matter how you slice the cake, the amount of frosting doesn't change. The rail infrastructure is simply full in all respects. There is no magic slot somewhere that nobody thought of until now. The only way you're going to get more rail transit capacity is with more rail, and all the odds and ends that go with it. And you're not getting that without a LOT of money, and a LOT of eminent domain property takeovers. Pretty much the same thing that's required to make the highways wide enough to not be jammed every day. No politician that wants to be re-elected will do it.
 #1418176  by Arlington

Turning at the Greenbelt low seems like it would work.

ROW not wide enough for a 3rd track Or passing siding someplace between Ivy City and CP?

My hypothesis is also that lVRE ayover space may be cheaper out Greenbelt-way than at Ivy City.
 #1418258  by STrRedWolf

Not really. You're contending with another government agency there (Department of Agriculture) for the land on one side and WMATA's Greenbelt yard on another. Once past the yard, you probably might as well build a yard right after Muirkurk.
 #1418259  by Arlington

STrRedWolf wrote:Once past the yard, you probably might as well build a yard right after Muirkurk.
Hmm. Is MD-200 a good place for a VA commuter train to terminate?
 #1418373  by scratchy

STrRedWolf wrote:Well... you know, this is why I love Wikimapia.

There's no interlocking immediately north of College Park until you pass Greenbelt (which is a logical place to turn a train, plus there is one low-level platform there) and go almost all the way to Muirkurk, where the Ammendale interlocking is.

South of College Park, you got JD and RIVERDALE PARK interlocks... south of Riverdale station. I think if you want to turn trains properly, you need another rail and an interlocking or two.

To get there, I think you'll foul Penn line traffic regularly as well, and for added service, CSX is mandating another rail line all the way up.

Not going to happen anytime soon.
Greenbelt is the perfect location to turn trains around. I'm not sure there are enough slots for additional traffic. I am wondering if the College Park station would get built into more than a whistle stop when the purple line goes through. There is room for additional tracks, and platforms. I'd assume another interlock could go in north or south of it.
 #1418401  by MCL1981

If the new FBI HQ is built in Greenbelt or Springfield, the potential customers for run through service will likely increase. Either VRE continuing to Greenbelt, or MARC continuing to Springfield. But again, never going to happen without expanding the infrastructure and rails first.
 #1418533  by MCL1981

What FBI money? The FBI is struggling to get funding for their new HQ to begin with. And what they're being allowed to build is going to be too small in the first place because they can't get enough money or space to build bigger. So getting a few extra billion to expand the rail infrastructure of Maryland, DC, and Virginia is not likely.
 #1418744  by Arlington

How much would a package like this cost:
+3rd rail Ivy City to Greenbelt nside existing fences, I'd say) (7 miles @ $5m mile = $35m)
+Crossovers at both ends ($5m each?,)
+Redo some crossings (or is that in the $5m/mile)
+New low level platform at CP ($10m)

Call that $60m?

That feels like - $100m (or less), not "billions"
 #1418756  by STrRedWolf

Arlington wrote:How much would a package like this cost:
+3rd rail Ivy City to Greenbelt nside existing fences, I'd say) (7 miles @ $5m mile = $35m)
+Crossovers at both ends ($5m each?,)
+Redo some crossings (or is that in the $5m/mile)
+New low level platform at CP ($10m)

Call that $60m?

That feels like - $100m (or less), not "billions"
I think the road crossings (ether at grade level or on bridges/tunnels) will add more cost (and probably will double the bill).

Don't forget, you got to rework some interlockings: F Tower to span all four tracks, JD to handle the third rail line, RIVERDALE PARK to handle the third rail and do full back/forward switching, and GREENBELT for the crossovers mentioned above and the third rail line.

Both College Park and Riverdale stations will need to be redone: Riverdale just needs one side moved (at the cost of some parking), College Park will need to be completely redesigned (hint: Move it a bit north-east on top of the Metrorail tunnel, swapping the side where it is on in relation to the crossover, and stretch it to cover 1.5 car-lengths).

I'm thinking at least $250 mil, and expect just that to double because of how government likes to drag their feet with paperwork.