Railroad Forums 

• Single tracking and PIDS

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1306253  by YOLO

I know that this is a limitation of the existing PIDS, but can someone go into detail why the PIDS will crap out if there is single tracking or trains crossing switches?
 #1306265  by tommyboy6181

I can't say 100% for certain why they would go out unfortunately. But I do know that the manufacturer of the current PIDS system (Inova Solutions) no longer does these systems for transit. They now only specialize in call center solutions.

This link could help though as a description of the system is buried on pages 52-55.
http://www.thinkoutsidethecar.org/pdfs/ ... tments.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1306315  by JDC

tommyboy6181 wrote:I can't say 100% for certain why they would go out unfortunately. But I do know that the manufacturer of the current PIDS system (Inova Solutions) no longer does these systems for transit. They now only specialize in call center solutions.

This link could help though as a description of the system is buried on pages 52-55.
http://www.thinkoutsidethecar.org/pdfs/ ... tments.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great report.
 #1306348  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
I know that this is a limitation of the existing PIDS, but can someone go into detail why the PIDS will crap out if there is single tracking or trains crossing switches?

Me think the software used to generate real time arrivals is designed primarily for 2 track operations. It simply acts stupid and craps the bed because it is not smart enough to accurate predict from what direction a given train will actually arrive.

The Passenger Information Display System is using the same real time arrival data stream that is used to generate the real time arrival at wmata.com.