Railroad Forums 

• Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1381631  by MattAmity90

Will the waiting room on the platform be part of Phase 1, along with the installation of the elevator? Somehow I think the project will be done by next year instead of Summer 2018.
 #1381842  by bellstbarn

Will the waiting room on the platform be part of Phase 1, along with the installation of the elevator?
We have to see how the work progresses. If they follow the 6+6 construction split used at Seaford and Massapequa, the waiting room on the platform clearly is in the eastern half, which seems to be Phase 1. In a 12-car train the division point of 6+6 is close to the top of the escalator, only a bit west of it. On the platform, let's see where the blue wall or chain-link fence goes up.
 #1383917  by bellstbarn

ImageAsbestos Abatement Notice by sphoto33, on Flickr

ImageWantagh, near 6th car by sphoto33, on Flickr

Maybe the orange mark on the platform marks the space between the 6th and 7th cars of 12-car trains.

ImageWantagh Triangle Park by sphoto33, on Flickr

ImageWest of ticket office by sphoto33, on Flickr

Moving the ticket machines suggests that this area may soon be fenced off. It would not surprise me if this becomes the location of the elevator, as at Seaford.

ImageMoving ticket machines by sphoto33, on Flickr

Signs say the ticket vending machines will be moved here, facing Brooklyn Avenue.
 #1384453  by bellstbarn

ImageWantagh platform announcement by sphoto33, on Flickr

The main stairway and the two stairways at Wantagh Avenue remain open. The two Beech Street stairways will be closed. On the first anniversary, May 16, 2017, I predict that work on the east end will still be in progress. By the second anniversary, May 16, 2018, I predict that all passengers will be using the two Beech Street stairways.
 #1384530  by MattAmity90

Well, I guess that means that the new waiting room, elevator, and escalator will be built during Phase 1 and in service when Phase 2 begins! I saw the groundbreaking ceremony in pictures today.
 #1388706  by bellstbarn

The street-level waiting room at Wantagh has three doors, north, south, and west towards the escalator, newsstand, coffee truck, and pay phones. On 6.14.2016 I found the west doorway closed and the small seating area near it walled off. Notices read, "To accommodate elevator installation, the west entrance will be closed" and "While the closure is in place .... "
---
I surmise that the elevator shaft will be positioned immediately west of that street-level waiting room, as was done in Seaford. Maybe the shaft will have windows similar to those at Seaford and Bellmore, allowing people to observe whether anyone is riding the elevator on its way up or down.
---
The notice also implies that the elevator work will be done during Phase 1. There is no promise as to completion date, but Phase 2 will disable the escalator.
 #1389979  by bellstbarn

Some views on an overcast Thursday morning, June 23, 2016. Platform slab removal is working east to west, and it has only begun. Note that the crane is inside the triangular park.
---
ImageWantagh LIRR platform removal by sphoto33, on Flickr
---

ImageWantagh LIRR platform removal by sphoto33, on Flickr
---

ImageWantagh platform removal by sphoto33, on Flickr
 #1390104  by MattTheM1

bellstbarn wrote:Amazing! All the platform slabs, canopies, pillars, etc. of the east half are gone by the afternoon of June 24, 2016. It was a one-week job.
I knew they would get this done quick, they are not fooling around. Next up will be Hicksville or Babylon.
 #1390139  by MattAmity90

I'm back, sorry if I had to change it for a bit to MattTheM1, but that's because I lost my passwords and the one I actually have for my normal one wouldn't even be excepted. Glad to back, and wonderful photos once again. Like I said before:

Can't thank you enough on the photos, man it looks so weird without the canopy on the Eastern half!

I knew they would get this done quick, they are not fooling around. Next up will be Hicksville or Babylon.

That's what I thought, you have to get the elevator out of the way with phase one.
 #1390149  by bellstbarn

Matt answered a post I deleted. On Friday, I thought I saw the entire eastern half of the platforms gone. This afternoon (Saturday, June 25, 2016), I had a look from the south side at Dunkin' Donuts and discovered I was wrong. They still have removal work to do next week. It seems (emphasize seems) they removed slabs to work near the elevator and removed slabs at the far east end, but some stanchions, one Wantagh sign, and some blue-faced bricks remain with remaining slabs. The removal work is incomplete. Therefore, I deleted the post Matt quoted. They are working quickly, though. And one mid-day this week, I noticed trains using only Track 1, probably as they hoist each slab over Track 2 and down to the waiting flatbed truck.
 #1390158  by MattAmity90

Hey no problem, and I also noticed that right where the fence meets below it where the blue "box" is next to the ticket office at ground level, I'm guessing that is where the elevator is going to go?
 #1393851  by bellstbarn

When I reached the Wantagh platform this morning, I discovered that two glass shelters have been constructed on the west half of the platform. I took a video of Train 2735 flying past on Track 2 (six cars pushed by a DE), continuing onto Track 1 activity, a crowd boarding Train 1007 to Penn. Many boarded the sixth car to reach cars further back that did not open at Wantagh, due to platform construction. Maybe the link below will work, bringing you to a video of action on each track.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10304248 ... 5783801586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A pit has been excavated near the stairway closest to Mulchahy's bar. Could it be an entrance to the proposed Wantagh Avenue subway?