Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#52506  by M1 9147

As our buddy Lamont stated to me, DM30AC 518 was testing, and now back and in full operation running tonight on the Port Jeff scoot runs in the evening. It came in as train 666 from LIC with 6 cars and 5003, and looks good. Even the horn is the same sound as the others LOL.

#52513  by emfinite

WHOOOPIEE! Another P.O.S. is back to grace the rails of Long Island. What a shame.

#52529  by Fla East Coast Chris

OH BOY OH BOY
another refugee vfrom a scrapyard!!!! has returned getting louder and older as the clock ticks!!!
Chris

#52612  by JoeLIRR

How much longer till it's OOS again? lets start the count. :wink:

#52646  by SeldenJrFireman

i give it until september 24

#52881  by JoeLIRR

the 24th, sounds like a deal.

the clock is ticking ........ 9 days to go. :wink:

#52965  by Nasadowsk

Yeah,. but will it go out with a wimper, like a messed up something or another, or go out in flames like a few DMs have already.

I mean, gee, I want to get my tax dollar's worth, if it's gonna break again, it'd better break GOOD :)

#53168  by M1 9147

518 was with 503 when both of them went out of service in Greenlawn in that shopping cart fire back in 2000. Both engines were on train 660 on each end of that 8 car train. 503 recieved the worst of damage though. I believe all of the DM's are now back in service except for 503 which is a write off, however on the MTA page due to being under warranty provisions were set for 503 to be rebuilt at Altoona as well which includes frame, and everything else. On the DE side, 416 has been out since late last year due to skin damage on the right front fender side.
 #53200  by Sean 418

Actually, The 518's first run was on the Penn Station to Speonk Train on Wednesday the 8th of September. It was fine up to PT then bottomed out and went dead. It needed to be shoved into Speonk that night.

#53240  by Nasadowsk

Does EMD even care about their reputation as a locomotive builder anymore? Or do they figure they've got a few loyal class Is that'll buy this junk no matter what, so just ship it out?

#53261  by scopelliti

Just curious.. what does "bottomed out" mean?

#53377  by Scrap em All

518 working 2706 to Montauk today.
 #1544568  by Pensyfan19

Well, as you predicted, 518 was taken out of service for sometime about a few months ago, but was placed back in service as a Siemens test unit with Siemens parts. Probably Siemens getting first dibs for the LIRR to order Chargers to replace the DMs.

Other than that, I am unaware of other times which 518 was taken out of service, except maybe for minor repairs sometime between now and the last post here (almost 16 years ago).

So after updating this post with recent information, and reading the previous comments on it, which one would you prefer on the LIRR: EMD DM30AC or Siemens Charger? (Both have been reported to have numerous problems, but no one's perfect)
 #1544586  by Backshophoss

The dual mode Charger design has a weight problem,that might be solved by using A-1-A trucks for the Park ave viaduct(GCT)
The Dual Mode Charger will be a joint order between Amtrak,MN,ConnDOT,and LIRR.
 #1544608  by photobug56

Hopefully these DM's will work a lot better than our current fleet - and that we will finally have enough DM's to provide decent service in diesel country. But it won't matter if LIRR doesn't properly maintain them.