Railroad Forums 

• Oakwood Road Grade Crossing....anyone got any vintage pics?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#594359  by greenwichlirr

I'm trying to find any pictures of Oakwood Road back in the early 80's and before when the southern-side was that super big wooden gate that actually folded at the top when in the clear position.

Anyone have any snapshots? A longshot, I know...but you never know......
 #595129  by cpontani

I have no pics, but I remember when I was a kid there was a heaing oil terminal at the south side of the tracks, west side of Oakwood Road. I can't remember whose terminal it was, or even if it was served by rail. Assume you're looking for that?
 #595172  by greenwichlirr

Yeah, those tanks (now gone) were owned by The Nick Brothers.

I'm looking for any crossing pics in the hopes of getting the crossing signals in the pics. The signal on the southeast corner had such a long gate even back then that the top end few feet of the gate itself folded down when in the raised position. When it came down, it straightened itself. If you can picture it, it looked like an upside down checkmark in the raised position.

Never saw another one like it anywhere. Don't know if it was just a rare piece of equipment or just something that the Signal crew devised and assembled on-line.
 #595276  by LB

I remember driving around that area in the late 1970's/early 1980's and many of those crossings had the old style gates (red and white stripes vice black and white). I don't have any photos of that exact location, if I saw what you described I probably figured a car hit it and damaged it, since I never saw the gate actually lowering. I do have a good 3 sequence shot of the old style gates at Broadway, Bethpage showing up, halfway and down (with train) from that time period, but there was no folding top portion. There was a folding bar in the middle of many of the longer old style gates that extended when lowered probably to help stabilize when it was in the down position.
 #603747  by donall26

Oakwood Rd crossing was one of a very few canterlever crossing gates. There were at least 3 of them on the LIRR. One that I certainly remember was at Herricks Rd, main line, (which is now elevated). The reason why it was designed that way, was to avoid hitting the high tension lines overhead. Another one was on the Oyster Bay Branch, Glen Cove Rd. Having had personal experience working on them, I can say it was an experience. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them. The one person who I can think of, is Frank Kenny, but he's deceased now, for at least 10 years. He was always known for taking pictures. I'll ask some of my retired brethren if they have any.
 #607224  by donall26

The design of the canterlever gate was simple. You had a cable which was anchored at the mast, then ran up to where the fold of the gate was, there was a hinge there, with a rod attached to the top portion of the gate. When the gate was lowered, the cable would hold the rod in place while the gate descended, pulling the top portion of the gate horizontal. If adjusted properly, the gate would be straight horizontally. Of course it was always fun trying to get it that way, especially with traffic being held up while you were trying to make the proper adjustments. The tip of the gate was always getting smashed, from cars and trucks going around the gates. Then there were a few times when the hinge didn't fold and the gate stayed straight, it would hit the high voltage wires overhead, it would come down the lighting cables, back through the operating cables, into the signal case and blow it up. I've seen that a few times in my career. But for the most part it was a simple design and it worked well. Hope this answers your query about canterlever gates.
 #936541  by LB

I finally saw for the first time the gates you described in this thread. There is a set still in service on the Hutchinson Parkway in the Bronx near the City Island Drawbridge on the East/Northbound side of the road. Had a pulley at the top and folded portion of gate laid parallel and tight against the lower portion of gate. Never remember seeing anything like this on the LIRR.