Railroad Forums 

• Retired cars stored on Naugutuck R.R. ?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#31516  by SnoozerZ49

Hi,
I'm a visitor to the LIRR board. I'm a Conductor in Boston. I saw a recent photo in a magazine showing a long cut of double decker coaches that the LIRR had sold off and were being sold.

They were strange looking cars and did not seem to have any vestibules and only high level power doors. Why were these cars retired? Were they dogs? They don't look very old from the photo.

I work on a number of different coaches and I know our Kawasaki coaches are very poor quality, was this the case with these cars?

Just wonderin'

#31517  by JoeLIRR

i think your talking about the C1 coaches.

#31523  by SeldenJrFireman

They were the prototypes that came before the C3's-which are now in service. They are also not able to be put into service is because those cars have a different voltage rating. I believe the C1 had 32 volt systems and the C3's have a 64 volt system, or vis versa (I know it is along those lines dealing with the voltage.) They were also tested with a leased Metra FL-9, or an E8 because a DM/DE30AC engine was not available at the time. These cars are also manufactured by Kawasaki in Yonkers, NY.

I hope this helps somewhat

Mike

#31524  by emfinite

I saw a picture in Rail Pace (Rumor Pace) which pictured MN #s 410 and 413 pulling the C-1 coaches on a test run. They looked pretty sharp with those engines on the head end.

#31532  by DutchRailnut

You saw them with the two engines (F10)when they were moved from New Haven to Waterbury for pickup by Naugy.
MNCR did run a test train with the C1's in early 90's when starships(FL9ac)'s were being test run, but not after that.
The C1's are not built by Kawasaki but by Tokyu Car Company in Japan.
The cars are working as maried pairs and two cars are drawbar connected, with N2c couplers at ends.
the control system for Push-Pull is incompatible with regular MU connectors both physical and voltage.
The Mu system and Controls on these cars are 32 volt vs the standard 64 volt of normal locomotives, this was done so regular stock M1/M3 parts could be used.
The move was made by utilizing compromise couplers to couple the train to regular AAR couplers.

#31550  by SeldenJrFireman

If a company in Japan built the C1, and kawasaki built the C3, wouldn't the company in Japan have a problem with that because it looks exactly alike? unless, it is the same company?

#31557  by SnoozerZ49

Thanks for the insight. I get it now!

#31597  by DutchRailnut

Just because a box looks like a box does not mean same manufacturer built it.
the C3's are single car coaches
the C1's work as two car minimums because of shared objects like emergency battery and battery chargers. air reservoirs and brake components etc.
The are NOT built by same company despite bothof them being Japanese companies.
 #31721  by kro52

As info, the C1's were built by Tokyo Car Company.

#31893  by M1 9147

Correction, Tokyu!