Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#30347  by jayrmli

LIRRNOVA:

To answer your question, they can restore a big steam locomotive because they have received funding to do it. If you're talking about the B&M engine, funding is being raised through the local NRHS chapter. Work only progresses as funding is available. Same with the K4, funding has come from the State of Pennsylvania. Funding has run short a couple of times, and work has slowed.

I don't mean to discourage you from your interest. I know your main interest is in the rotary. However, there are a couple of problems with what you intended...

If you want Steamtown to do the work to fix the engine up, they won't be likely to give it up. Thus, your dream of seeing the rotary back on Long Island wouldn't happen.

If you want Steamtown to "give the engine back to Long Island," where would you put it? Where would you get the funding for such an endeavor? Once you got it back, what would you do to protect/preserve the engine, preventing it from further decay?

This is where a plan comes in. I would love to see the rotary return to Long Island, but I don't want to see people pay good money for an expensive return to Long Island to watch it rust away here. I can go to Scranton for that, and it's a lot cheaper. Unless there is a plan to move it, restore it, and protect it indoors, it's better off where it is.

Jay

#30530  by JoeLIRR

Jay,

Your absolutly right. i would love to see the roatery home and at least cosmetically restored. but Id'e rather seen the 39 worked on and completed before we talk of returning the plow. the 39 has a very good chance to be under steam again n i wont to see it happen,

lets worry about the top prioritys we have,
The Pullman cars,
The 39
The RS3
The Round House & its relations. just to name a few.

Hopfully after 39 is running the fact that there is a running steam train on LI may get the RMLI more attion and attract more tourist.
Even better but HIGHILY UNLICKLY run atleast 2 excursions p/yr to montauk from jamaica or LIC and so on. even thats plannen a lil too far ahead.

so lets get the train rolling n not derailing :wink: ALL ABORD !!!! project 39

#31451  by BEDT16RMLI

What about BEDT 16 think that should be on the list and lets not froget # 1 give our Porters the respect they diserve.

#31488  by JoeLIRR

Sorry, that I for got BEDT 16, but i was just giving some examples & the BEDT 16 slipped my mind. ADD that to the list of priorites

#31567  by BEDT16RMLI

thank you