Railroad Forums 

• Port Washington lines freight history, someone help me out

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#28273  by NIMBYkiller

Ok, so, now I know that there used to be freight service to the lumber yard in Port Washington that is now a storage place, and I'm pretty sure there was freight to that place that has the spur in Queens. Was there anything else on the PW line?

#28293  by LI Loco

A remant of the old Whitestone branch served some industries in the Willets Point section of Flushing into the 1970s. Also, a remnant of the original Central RR remained in service in the Flushing area for some time after that route was severed between Flushing and Creedmoor. http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/flushbr.html

#28411  by Dave Keller

Depends on how far back you wish to go . . .

From my LIRR 1919 CR4:

Elmhurst:
Elmhurst Coal Co.
E. R. Durkee & Co.

Great Neck Junction:
Queensboro Lumber co.
Heinrich Francke Sohne & Co.
H. K. Lines
Concrete Products Co.
Nathan Manufacturing Co.

Broadway:
F. Storm

Great Neck:
Bayside Coal & Supply Co.
Gregory Coal and Lumber Co.

Port Washington:
C.W. Copp
Munson Brothers

From my 1958 Bob Emery maps:

Elmhurst:
Knickerbocker Ice Co.

Corona:
E. R. Durkee Co.
Corona Fuel Co.

Flushing:
Con Edison Co. Warehouses and Pole Yard

Auburndale:
American Hospital supply Co.
County Fuel Co.

Bayside:
Marben Lumber & Flooring Co.
C. H. Hawley Coal Co.
Queensborough Lumber Co.

Great Neck:
Gregory Coal & Lumber Co.
Great Neck Lumber Co.
North Shore Mason’s Supply Co.

Port Washington:
Port Fuel Co.
Port Washington Lumber Co.
Donald D. Wyeing (Bldg Materials)

Have fun!
Dave Keller

#28413  by CLiner2005

At one time, Little Neck had a siding with trailing points at the east end of the platform on the eastbound (No. 2) track. Also, there was a Railway Express Agency (REA) freight house between the siding and the No. 2 track. It had a narrow low platform alongside the freighthouse for passenger use (12 car MP54 consist in the rush hour). The freighthouse had a high freight platform - steel "reachers" were use to load/unload MP54 combines. I recall seeing the standard 40' boxcars on the siding (this is going back to the 40's) that had goods for off-site locations - there wasn't any businesses at the siding. I vaguely recall lumber being offloaded onto trucks. There was also some sidings in Bayside north of the 1 & 2 tracks just east of Bell Blvd. I believe, in both locations, that the sidings were not electrified. I may be wrong about that because DD-1's did operate freight on the PW (Northside) Branch.

#28424  by RRChef

Pappy
I am glad to see you posting again. Your knowledge of the LIRR's past is something that should be shared with all and I for one would have missed your interesting perspective. Welcome back.
Chef

#28426  by lirrmike

I second that! Between you and Mr. JJ Earl, you guys are our doors to the past.

Mike

#34117  by dukeoq

Thanks, Mike
Just plugged in since moving on June 23.
In 1960 I owned the MA 13 or the Swamp Job as it was called, because of it's doing switching in Corona Meadows Yard.
This was the last remnant of the Whitestone Branch and it serviced a scrap dealer as well as Empire Millwork and a company that took covered hoppers of plastic pellets. A team yard also served several customers and off #1 main, Con Edison had a yard where flat cars laden with poles were taken.
On the south side, where Shea is today, A&P had a bakery where Jane Parker baked goods where made.
Plastic toys were made by Emenee in a building between the switching lead and #2 main and a carload of coal was taken at a coal yard off the same lead.
The MA13 shoved out of Yard A up the Westbound Montauk Cutoff as far as the Mainline Cutoff and then reversed down through “F”, Harold and on to “WIN”
Winfield team yard was switched and then on to the branch.
I don’t remember the name of the consignee, but it was always referred to as “Durkee’s old siding”
This siding was double ended near old Elmhurst station.
Hand thrown cross-over switches, known as United Nation Cross-overs got us into Corona Yard.
At the time, the remnants of the former United Nations station was laying there in derelict form.
A coal siding was served off #1 at Elmhurst on our way back west.
In 1960, MA territory ended at Flushing and a road job, L40, did the work east of there.
Not much to do and it was a sweet job for the extra man who wanted to get finished early to hit a day job the next day.
I worked the 13 again a few years later (1964) when MA Territory was extended to Port Wash.
The team yard at Bayside took a box car of doo-dads for someone who ran a flea-market or something like that.
North Shore Mason took carloads of mason material and brick at Plandome or Manhasset off #1 and of course there was the lumber yard at Port Wash.
That gate at the PW lumber yard was the undoing of many a MU drill conductor on the midnight yard job, but that’s another story altogether.
JJ Earl

#34134  by lirrmike

JJ,

I'm so glad to hear from you, hope the move went well. I sure if you needed any help, just about all of us here would have been glad to help.
Anyway, what was the motive power on these freight runs? S2's? Or RS1-3's? Thanks so much.

Mike

#34183  by dukeoq

With six kids, spouses and several grandchildren we were actually bumping into one another. Now we have to figure out where to put all of the stuff. (We'll keep the garbage men busy)
Back on topic:
In the sixties, S2s did the work but later on, in the seventies, RS1s were used.
JJ Earl

#34187  by NIMBYkiller

wow. Thanks for the info JJ Earl. A few things though:

1. When you say the team yard at Bayside, you mean the now MOW(?) yard between Bayside station and the Cross Island Parkway?

2. North Shore Mason is probably Manhasset, as the area near Manhasset station has a few places where you'd find something like that, while the section near Plandome station is all residential.

3. Now there are 2 tracks under the Willowdale Av bridge as you come into Port Washington station. The track on the right has a derailer on it. Was this track there when you worked makin the deliveries there? Was it used for only the freight train?

#34232  by dukeoq

1. Most MOW yards today were once team yards.
....Bayside team was/is just east of Bell Blvd. off #1.
2. That sounds likely. It's been a long time since I was up that
....way and at that, it was only occasionally.
3. As I remember, that would be the yard lead. That is the reason for
....the derail.

BLUEBELLY !! If you are out there, you could probably answer this
better than I can.

JJ Earl[/b]