Railroad Forums 

• MTA arrests bogus rail employee

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#26953  by IslesFan

bluebelly wrote:
Also, IIRC ther was a 17-year old kid back in 1993 who posed as a motorman on the "A" train and actually drove an A train from Lefferts Blvd till about 175th Street when an inspector saw him speeding up the track and noticed the operator to be "too young looking", and was arrested right then and there. I remember seeing an article about it afterwards.
That was the same guy, he has a hsitory of this. The above was the first known incident, he apparently has stolen a bus or two, and now was looking to steal an M7
Nope its not the same guy. See http://www.mndaily.com/daily/gopher-arc ... arrest.txt

#26991  by SeldenJrFireman

You have all heard on Microsoft Flight Simulator. This sim game teaches you how to use most controls in the cockpit, how to takeoff, fly and land. I guess this will disappear from stores because it could be concidered Terrorist training material. After a few tries, i was flying a boeing 737 pretty good. landings were a little sketchy though. If they do make the photo ban the next game to go bye bye will be MSFT TRAIN SIM.

#27068  by Robert Paniagua

Yep, I remember that train incident as I mentioned. At the time, I was also riding NYCT subways then and looking out front too of certain cars, not to mention I also happen to be just as old as him :-), but I wouldn't try to drive any such train, not even a train of 015/01600s.

#27392  by Lupo 10

Hey Selden Jr.,

Microsoft Flight Simulator won't be taken off the shelves but they DID remove large buildings and other potential "targets" from their game after 9/11. This game is a favorite pastime for my father and I know he was dissapointed when they did this.

#27493  by jayrmli

Let's not blame security too bad. This guy was caught in the act. What more could you want security to do?

You can't fence off the entire yard. You'd still need a way for the trains to enter and exit. Gates are not practical for a busy yard like Hillside.

As was posted above, photo bans were used in the past. During WWII, there was a ban on photography as well. Like it or not, railroads are considered part of our national security, and have always been considered targets. In WWII, Nazi saboteurs boarded an LIRR train at Amagansett to commit acts of war on American Soil. One of their prime targets was Horseshoe Curve and other vital rail links.

Railroaders are now required to report all suspicious activity that is observed. While I might know the difference between a railfan and a serious threat, many others will call it in, and have to waste law enforcement's time to check it out, instead of fighting real crime. I'm sure that officer isn't going to want to hear about the constitution, civil rights, etc. (They've heard it all before.)

Jay

#27555  by bluebelly

IslesFan wrote:
bluebelly wrote:
Also, IIRC ther was a 17-year old kid back in 1993 who posed as a motorman on the "A" train and actually drove an A train from Lefferts Blvd till about 175th Street when an inspector saw him speeding up the track and noticed the operator to be "too young looking", and was arrested right then and there. I remember seeing an article about it afterwards.
That was the same guy, he has a hsitory of this. The above was the first known incident, he apparently has stolen a bus or two, and now was looking to steal an M7
Nope its not the same guy. See http://www.mndaily.com/daily/gopher-arc ... arrest.txt
Well according to Newsday he took an E Train full of commuters on a six stop ride when he was 15. Please note the 4th paragraph of the link below

http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-nysub1 ... 963.column

#27650  by SeldenJrFireman

LUPO,

Your right. My friend has the version with the "targets" Taken out. There were no Bridges, No empire state building, no UN building (which is clearly visible in MSFS 98) and a few other ones.

#27684  by JoeLIRR

I have a route in MSTS with the Empire,WTC, Liberty witch depending where u are they are visible. in the route editor u can get up clocse with the targets.

that does provide nice screen shots. I havent used that route in a long time, but i think i even seen GCT there also. so the buildings are there for msts also.
 #27693  by BMT

[Quote:

That was the same guy, he has a hsitory of this. The above was the first known incident, he apparently has stolen a bus or two, and now was looking to steal an M7]

No, it is NOT the same guy. People are getting confused between Daris McCullom and Keron Thomas. Keron Thomas was the 17-year-old who 'stole' the A Train in 1993 as a one-shot joyride. And he was NOT noticed and stopped by a subway inspector. What stopped him was the grade-timed signal system that tripped his train as he negotiated a sharp turn next the end of the triip. He almost pulled it off except he paniced as he didn't know what to do in a BIE situation. Daris McCullom is the repeat offender going back to the 1980's.