Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#21951  by Long island Joe

My Last Fan Trip With The NRHS Was April 17 1999 we went to Long Island City and to Hill Side and Right To Port Jeff.

We Had FA 614 MP15 171 AND GP38-2 260 The Fan Trip Was Great.

The Very Last Fan Trip The L.I.S.T Was The Montauk Trip The Club Has Gp38-2 252 Mp15 171 and I Think its was Fa 614 or 613?.

All The Fan Trip's The L.I.S.T Had Was The Bests

Thank You Gene Collora

[/quote][/code]

#22010  by JoeLIRR

Joe's Right,

Thanks Gene and any one else who was envolved in planing the railroad adventures.

even tho we dont have any of the old equpt as readly avalible, lets see if we can have a fantrip w/whats left of the onld equpt, the hacks that the twinforks chapter has and so on. ide like to see mp15 171 and maby (w/ authorization) NYA 271 "since we need the geeps". its up to the current generation of railfans w/the connections to work something out.

thanks to all who can make another railfan trip posible.

#22091  by GP38

Let's also not forget these two great trips!

Now how did this LIRR train get lost?...

#22138  by Long island Joe

Now Your Talking My Friend I Miss The Fan Trips

The First Fan Trip I Went on Was Back in May 14, 1988 I Was 6 Years old

it was called Heritage special Excursion to oyster bay, Riverhead and Greenport and it was going to be my first Cab Ride.

We had 2 Gp38-2 268 - 276 and F7 621 and it was the first time meeting Locomotive 39 in Riverhead.

The Trip Was For The Steam Locomotive 39 Fund Committee, Inc

Departs Jamaica Station: 8:10am

Return To Jamaica Station: 6:00pm

#22145  by JoeLIRR

Riding in a gondola today! wouldent that be something, i dont think theyll get away w/it again. maby an excursion w/the harold protect engines.

#22150  by LIengineerBob

I was one of the engineers working the Greenport trip with the Harold Protect engines.
We can all thank Gene for all the GREAT trips he used to arrange!!

#22879  by Mr GP10

I was only on about 2 of them myself my first and most favorite was the "Coaches & Cabooses" trip with SW-1001 # 103 and later in the day the 2 C420s with FA-1 # 609 8 cabooses and 2 coaches that was a hot day back Sep 1989. my second was the farewell to the old equipment with the GP-38-2 # 260 and FA-2 # 614 I never thought we would some of the electrified lines I ll never forget how LOUD 614s horns were BTW where ids the 614 these days??? the 2 C420s were #s 225 and 229 for those who are interested.

#22881  by Mr GP10

BTW where was that trip with the MNRR cab car? When was it? Also when was that fan trip with the 2 SW-1001s? where did it go besides Greenport? I agree lest see if there could be a way to arange another old eqipment fan trip.

#22933  by CLiner2005

GP10:

The photo with the MNRR cab car was taken at Dover Plains, NY on 10/16/1993. The trip ran with 3 MP15AC units on the east-end (166, 154, 168) and FA 607 on west-end. There were 6 P72 coaches in the consist - 2 coaches (2813, 2873, bar/snack car 2833 and 2 parlor cars (don't have those numbers. At the time of this trip, Dover Plains was he termination point of the old Harlem Division. Wassaic service was still in the discussion phase.
The trip ran Jamaica-Harold, Harold-Dover Plains via Hellgate, Dover Plains-LIC, LIC-Jamaica via the Montauk Branch. It was a long day but very enjoyable. The only drawback was morning fog that didn't break until it was time to start the return leg of the trip.

#23038  by KFRG

CLiner,
That sounds like too much fun! I wish today MNCR or LIRR ran fan-trips over foreign road. What caused the railroad to stop these events? Any chance of a group such as the RMLI or North Fork doing a similar event?

-Tom

#23039  by JoeLIRR

There is a chance, but currently its all up to getting the old equpt restored, also the proper arangements must be made.

It can happen again tho. hopefully SOON

#23171  by jayrmli

The trip with the gondolas was the best one. I doubt insurance regulations today would ever allow it.

That's me in the white jacket above the reporting letters in the gondola.

Jay

#23173  by jayrmli

Does anyone have a list of the coach numbers from that gondola trip?

Jay

#25244  by Lupo 10

Jay.. that's you? You look like Tommy Chong!. Maybe the shadows make you look like you have a beard. LOL

Just a correction from above. The chapter is "Twin Forks" not North Fork.

#25308  by jayrmli

It's got to be the shadows. I never had a beard, although I've been known to get lazy and be a little "scruffy" at times. :)

Jay