Railroad Forums 

• Scheduling Questions, Jamaica & NYP

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1539485  by NIMBYkiller

What's the minimum amount of time LIRR schedules between trains at Jamaica? Likewise for platforms at NYP, both AM peak drop offs and PM peak pick ups. And how about time between trains on each mainline track?
 #1540049  by Kelly&Kelly

Just look at the timetable. Minimum times at Jamaica vary based on the move the train has to make through the interlocking and opposing moves at the time. Not a simple answer, but the schedules get fine-tuned when conflicts occur consistently and more time is added to certain schedules to compensate.

New York times vary also, depending on unloading/loading requirements. You can't have two trains unloading on 20 & 21 Track during the Commission Hours and expect a train to depart in two minutes. Departures on Tracks 18 & 19 can be made much more quickly. Moves from Line 4 to Track 17 must cross over and foul the entire plant. Generally, New York arrivals can be spaced as close as two minute intervals with some exceptions for departing and Amtrak conflicts.

Some parts of the Mainline can handle two minute headways though consideration must be given for station stops' effect on following traffic.
 #1542428  by NIMBYkiller

I'm talking the bare minimum of separation scheduled in. If a train on track 1 at Jamaica doesn't have to cross any other tracks to access or depart Jamaica, and the train behind it is the same, what's the tightest they'll schedule those two together? One person has told me 3 minutes, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that. Likewise for the main line, let's say tightest time between 2 trains running non-stop. 2 minutes seems to make sense but I've been told 3 minutes. I'd still like to know what it is in the East River tubes because I swear I've seen trains less than 2 minutes apart entering the same tunnel regularly but maybe I'm wrong? I was given a study done by Amtrak, LIRR, and Metro North that shows dwell times at NYP for each of them. It says for LIRR that:
Trains arriving NYP and then turning back require 18 minutes
Trains arriving NYP and then continuing to West Side Yard require 6 minutes
Trains departing NYP that originate at West Side Yard require 15 minutes

I'm honestly blown away at the dwell time for eastbounds that are coming out of WSY.
 #1542438  by photobug56

What I find strange on that; all or most LIRR tracks at Penn can be empty and yet we still have trains out of the yard that arrive late on platform. Now if this were happening for an eastbound diesel out of Huntington (transferring from an M from Penn), we figure that the crew in the diesel fell asleep, but what's going on in the WSY?
 #1542448  by Erie-Lackawanna

NIMBYkiller wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:04 pm I was given a study done by Amtrak, LIRR, and Metro North that shows dwell times at NYP for each of them. It says for LIRR that:
Trains arriving NYP and then turning back require 18 minutes
Trains arriving NYP and then continuing to West Side Yard require 6 minutes
Trains departing NYP that originate at West Side Yard require 15 minutes
I was somewhat involved in that study, and more involved with work done later, and I can tell you that those numbers bear little relation to the real world. If you travel in and out if Penn and pay close attention in the peaks, you’ll see that real life is very different than what is specified in that study.

Jim
 #1544037  by Kelly&Kelly

we still have trains out of the yard that arrive late on platform...what's going on in the WSY?
As many reasons a train is delayed in West Side as there are grains of sand on a beach:

Train movement conflicts, mechanical issues, crew issues. Late brake test by the car inspector, doors leaves cut out by cleaners, late arrival of crew members walking from station to yard, or from train to train. Swapping equipment. Short turnaround of crew via late westbound or short schedule time. Roaches. No air conditioning, no heat. No brake release after train was put together. Waiting for other employees to load, waiting for cleaners to finish cleaning. Unable to display signals, train crossing over ahead. Someone forgot something. Canceling Amtrak route displayed half hour too early...