Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1539414  by newkirk

Anyone know any background on this special run ?
Attachments:
June 1966
June 1966
NY Mets Special - June 1966 E. White.JPG (362.56 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
 #1539455  by MACTRAXX

BM: This was a special Mets train going to a ceremony/rally at the Babylon Station.
This is the train just west of Babylon. LI Railroader ran an article along with pictures.
There were Mets players among the dignitaries...
MACTRAXX
 #1539463  by newkirk

MACTRAXX wrote: This was a special Mets train going to a ceremony/rally at the Babylon Station.
This is the train just west of Babylon. LI Railroader ran an article along with pictures.
There were Mets players among the dignitaries...
Thank you, and idea the date of this ?
 #1539680  by 4behind2

There were other Mets Specials too. After the 1969 Championship, one Special was operated on the mainline. It had a flatcar between at least two Parlors. Special Service Attendants were handing out White Rock sodas to the crowd, and Second Baseman Wayne Garrett spoke on the flat car.

I'm sure there are photos of this......................
 #1540760  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:04 pm BM: This was a special Mets train going to a ceremony/rally at the Babylon Station.
This is the train just west of Babylon. LI Railroader ran an article along with pictures.There were Mets players among the dignitaries...MACTRAXX
Mets Special train #2038 SETAUKET observation car and #2037 TUSCARORA CLUB, just west of Babylon.
 #1540768  by MACTRAXX

Steve - Taking note to some Mets-Yankees baseball history:

The date of the LIRR Bullpen Special described on the flyer was August 24, *1972*.
That was the scheduled date of the Mayor's Trophy Game which was a once per season
exhibition game (1963-1983) scheduled between the Mets and the Yankees.
The 1972 Mayor's Trophy Game was at Yankee Stadium: Yankees 2, Mets 1.

https://ultimatemets.com/mayorstrophy.php

The tip-off to me was Ron Swoboda as a Yankee - he was with the Mets in 1967.
Another tip was the LIRR "sunrise" logo - which was not yet used in 1967.

The last Mayor's Trophy Game between the Mets and Yankees was played in 1983.
Interleague regular season play (creating the "Subway Series") began in 1997.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1540769  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:29 amThe date of the LIRR Bullpen Special described on the flyer was August 24, *1972*.
The tip-off to me was Ron Swoboda as a Yankee - he was with the Mets in 1967.
Great, thank you, as I fixed the date. I searched for August 24th Thursdays and never ventured past 1969. This is a great illustrated example of material posted on the internet, web forums, Facebook, etc. without dates, location, view, photographers. archive, etc. It creates havoc and misinformation. Thanks again MACTRAXX for making it correct. Folks, label your files, or years later these mistakes will occur again... :-(
 #1540772  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Thanks for the reply and credit. I do like baseball history such as this was...

I now remember that RMLI has a copy of this flyer in their ephemera collection.
I recognized this when I saw the flyer posted along with the two mentioned tip-offs
that this event was later then 1967.
In this case blame the LIRR for the year omission...MACTRAXX