Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1540307  by newkirk

fender52 wrote: Great Pictures. I didn't know Everett took pictures. I worked with him for a while.
Wow, small world !

I never met Everett, can you tell me more ?
 #1540474  by newkirk

fender52 wrote: I rather leave that alone.
Acknowledged
 #1542507  by Pensyfan19

Why can't the LIRR have other Fan Trips nowadays other than the Santa Train? If they are scheduled at the right time of daya, they won't interfiere with other trains on the system.

How often were these fantrips on the LIRR? Every month? Once every few months? Once every few years?
 #1542567  by nyandw

newkirk wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:46 pm
nyandw Wrote:I am getting feedback that: "...The Transit Improvement Association (TIA) was formed in 1967. ..." Do we have RDC trip dates in error?
The year of 1967 must be in error. Maybe it's 1947. If I remember correctly, there was a NYC subway R-11 fan trip held by the T.I.A. in 1949.
Clearing up the TIA data as follows: From Henry Raudenbush, noted LIRR Historian, in reference to the Fan Trip October, 1958 RDC - TIA to Greenport:

The Transit Improvement Association (TIA) was mostly interested in promoting modern public transit – in decades when the highway folks were most influential. I believe they had begun in the late 30’s, gathering signatures on petitions to fight motorization of Third Ave Railways streetcar lines – making speeches on the cars, etc. In the late 40’s they ran PCC (Presidents’ Conference Committee) fan trips to parts of Brooklyn and Queens where those cars were not usually seen, to try to build support for more PCC’s. Publicizing the use of RDC’s would fit into that type of effort!

A round trip to Greenport would be a reasonably full plate for such a fantrip, so they very likely didn’t go anywhere else. RDC trips had already been run on many LIRR branches closer to the City – Bay ridge, Bushwick, Ozone Park, Degnon Terminal. Going all the way to Greenport would be attractive for the novelty,

In that period, the cost for a day’s charter of the RDC’s was modest - some $500, and the LIRR was quite reasonable about arranging routings. This at a time when most of the other RR’s in the NY area (especially the NY Central) were quite uncooperative in such things.

A TIA 1961 fan trip ticket from Brad Phillips a few years later.
Last edited by nyandw on Wed May 13, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1542568  by nyandw

Steve and BM: I believe that the original 1958 date is correct taking note to these observations: In the Ronkonkoma Station picture there looks to be a F-M C Liner in the background. They were not yet on the LIRR in 1947 (built 1951?) and gone by 1967. Dashing Dan is in evidence on the pictured equipment - not yet in use in 1947. 1967 could make some sense - depending on exactly when the RDCs were retired. Again the best way would be to check the RMLI ephemera file of past fan trips. We then could answer our questions...MACTRAXX [/quote]

Yes, thank you! The C-Liner in the photo is the key. Fan Trip October, 1958 RDC - TIA to Greenport
RDC #3101 was destroyed in a grade crossing accident on 10/18/67
 #1542678  by nyandw

nyandw wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:17 am Steve and BM: I believe that the original 1958 date is correct taking note to these observations: In the Ronkonkoma Station picture there looks to be a F-M C Liner in the background. They were not yet on the LIRR in 1947 (built 1951?) and gone by 1967. Dashing Dan is in evidence on the pictured equipment - not yet in use in 1947. 1967 could make some sense - depending on exactly when the RDCs were retired. Again the best way would be to check the RMLI ephemera file of past fan trips. We then could answer our questions...MACTRAXX
Yes, thank you! The C-Liner in the photo is the key. Fan Trip October, 1958 RDC - TIA to Greenport
RDC #3101 was destroyed in a grade crossing accident on 10/18/67
[/quote]

Yes, agree, based on the C-Liner you pointed out and the fact that TIA sponsored outings during this time period.

Anyone with schedules or trip info for the September, 1956 RDC - Bay Ridge Branch, Evergreen Branch, and West Hempstead Branch and/or
April, 1957 RDC - Bushwick, Creedmoor, Old Northport, Oyster Bay, and Rockaway Beach Branches trip(s)? Thank you.