Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1476246  by Teutobergerwald

There's a picture of LIRR caboose C-94 in the weeds in Corona Yard in the '70s along with LIRR passenger equipment that was stored or being scrapped, on the trainsarefun.com website. I could swear I saw the C-94 at the Hicksville, Garden City and PW team yards and on passing LIRR freights through Hicksville occasionally back in the '80s. Am I mistaken? Did the LIRR have other cabooses numbered in the -90s that I might have seen rather than the C-94 ???
 #1476270  by ConstanceR46

Perhaps C-94 was stopping over as part of a freight turn, as Corona also served as freight sidings/team tracks for Willets Point up until the end of all operations in corona yard and/or PW line freight

Edit: Disregard, the picture you're talking about shows it on the scrapline. Trainsarefun says that the IC Hacks were a class of several.
 #1476341  by nyandw

ConstanceR46 wrote:Perhaps C-94 was stopping over as part of a freight turn, as Corona also served as freight sidings/team tracks for Willets Point up until the end of all operations in corona yard and/or PW line freight Edit: Disregard, the picture you're talking about shows it on the scrapline. Trainsarefun says that the IC Hacks were a class of several.
Thanks, ConstanceR46. The ex-IC group was C-91-96 acquired 1/1972 More here: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabIC.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The photo is of C-94 in the weeds at Corona is Tim Darnell's c. 1976-77

They sure didn't last long...