Railroad Forums 

• LIRR seeks to lease 8-21 MARC coaches (for Montauk Summer)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1436772  by MACTRAXX

NK:

MARC 1 cars have M1/M3 type seating with MNCR type cushioned seat backs. They are also equipped with safety
instruction cards in seatback pockets. There is nothing unusual about the MARC 1 car interiors.

GG:

Thanks for the numbers of the first five MARC cars leased. Please note the remaining three car numbers when
they become available. T84 spotted the spare coach being kept in PJ answering the question of which end of the
route that this was being kept. Taking note of at least 3 cab cars in the lease - and the explicit instructions about
not to modify these cars in any way during the lease period - these cab cars could have been used to free up one
of the DE30s for other use or to make up two(?) shorter train sets for Oyster Bay and/or Greenport Scoot trains...

Keeping the MARC set intact is more then likely the best option for this lease period - with up to 21 cars in 2018
and 2019 the LIRR could make more use of this extra equipment to back up the C3s as needed...

Another thought: Is there any thought about using this train set on busy weekends or holidays when ridership is
high and when C3 cars are in short supply or will it only see use if it is absolutely necessary?

A good example of a very busy travel day will be tomorrow - July 4th - with special events and those returning
from holiday getaways after a 4 day weekend for many contributing to high LIRR ridership. All July and August
weekends in season are busy with Labor Day weekend two months from now the other standout summer period.

MACTRAXX
 #1436837  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote:MARC 1 cars have M1/M3 type seating with MNCR type cushioned seat backs. They are also equipped with safety
instruction cards in seatback pockets. There is nothing unusual about the MARC 1 car interiors.
These are MARC IIA/IIB cars, not MARC I. I very much doubt the MARC I's even exist any more, and the MARC cars they're turning into bike cars are MARC IIA's.
 #1436868  by MACTRAXX

RW: The MARC 1 cars were the now retired "MARC Heritage Fleet". The two groups of Nippon Sharyo cars were
labeled the MARC 2 and 2A fleet as you point out - I stand corrected here.

After MARC got the first group of these cars in 1986 I then thought that the LIRR could have used a variation of these
cars with center doors similar to what the CSS&SB MU cars have. The LIRR eventually ended up with the 10 car C1
test train in the early 1990s that led to the C3 fleet later on in the decade.

The problem was that the LIRR always wanted to be "different" and not be a "follower" ordering equipment other
authorities already have in use. It was one of the prime reasons the LIRR never sought the MNCR or NJT type BBD
Comets which would have been a good fit to reequip the LIRR Diesel fleet back in the late 1990s/early 2000s era.

MACTRAXX
 #1436910  by jhdeasy

Backshophoss wrote:7 MARC cars might be the limit of a single DE HEP Inverter, 1 more then the 6 C-3 car limit .

(The Inverter is rated at 800 kw,and the main air compressor is on this inverter to boot!)
This prompts an off-topic question about LIRR HEP.

On a LIRR train operating with more than 6 of the C-3 bilevel cars, such as a 12 car Cannonball, are the forward cars receiving HEP from only the leading locomotive, while the rear cars are receiving HEP from only the rear/shoving locomotive? This would mean that at a certain location in the consist, the 480 jumpers are looped back into each car, rather being connected to the adjoining car, to create 2 separate HEP circuits, each powered by one locomotive.

When we operated the AAPRCO 2012 convention special train from Washington DC to Chattanooga TN and return, with 3 Amtrak P42 locomotives and 29 private cars, all 29 private cars drew their HEP from the third P42 locomotive. We never exceeded the amperage rating of the locomotive's HEP circuit. This despite the fact that the cars were drawing power for their kitchens and water heaters, as well as cooling and lighting.
 #1436923  by DutchRailnut

the P42 has a 1 megawatt HEP capacity the LIRR DE/DM is either 450 or 500 kw.

don't forget in commuter operations HEP demand is far far higher than excursion or long distance trains.
Try keeping up with heat or cooling demand when all doors open every two miles.
 #1436949  by tahawus84

I rode them home on the 547 out of Hunterspoint tonight. They remind me of the M3s same seating with lack of headrests. Seats were not as comfortable as the bi levels. They were clean though and no seats were ripped. Not my favorite car and I will try to take the earlier train in the future to avoid these cars.

It looked like they had mechanical people ridding on board as well.
 #1436952  by Backshophoss

The(NY) MTA "standard" is any door control station can open all doors on one side of the train,unless the doors are "zoned off" the trainline control,
or totally cut out for Mech reasons.
Also only local control(single door only) when dealing with "Bridgeplates" extended from a platform.
 #1436974  by BuddR32

The LI C3 cars are set up so that one HAVC unit gets its power from one HEP trainline, and the other HVAC unit gets its power from the other HEP trainline, if there is two engines providing HEP then the HVAC loads are evenly split, if there is only one engine, then both HEPs come from the same source anyway. The LVPS can get its power from either HEP, the selection is made by an interlocking circuit breaker in the electrical locker.
 #1437013  by SPEONKNY

edflyerssn007 wrote:Does anyone know which trains got the extra cars that these Marc's replaced? Basically which trains are longer?
I was wondering about that as well. I see that the schedule changes for the summer "emergency" repair work have a Speonk train making additional stops at Massapequa, Seaford, etc. Maybe this could use additional car(s)? Do any bi-levels currently make regular stops at Massapequa or would this be something unusual?

Or will the freed-up C3's just be used for the Montauk weekends/holidays crush, and if so on what trains? I was on train 2705 yesterday morning and it was definitely way overcrowded, passengers complaining about having to stand Patchogue to Jamaica. Announcement was made to keep luggage off of seats but it didn't seem to have the desired effect, I even saw a woman lying across two seats, soundly asleep.
 #1437782  by gamer4616

edflyerssn007 wrote:Does anyone know which trains got the extra cars that these Marc's replaced? Basically which trains are longer?

The cars were brought in to give extra cars to the Montauk trains, especially the holiday weekends in the summer, when ridership spikes. Comparing the holiday car counts for Memorial Day and Independence Day Friday trains.

5/26
2794 6 cars
2796 5 cars
2708 8 cars
9708 4 cars
2798 12 cars
2712 6 cars
2714 8 cars
2716 4 cars
2718 4 cars
2720 4 cars

6/30