Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1433980  by MADDOG

Having been invited to Steamfan77's home to view his layout in progress, all I can say is WOW!!
Well done trackwork with the correct "feel" of place.
I can't wait to see some scenery as that would put a great piece of work into the field of Phenomenal>
MADDOG
 #1437243  by Steamfan77

I've been installing some streets and sidewalks, and I finally put the signal bridge in and connected it to the system. The first picture shows Main St south of the tracks. The parking lot for the sub station is to the left of Main St. The last picture shows the position for Nassau Tower between the tracks and sidewalk.

Andy
Attachments:
Main St NE.jpg
Main St NE.jpg (57.17 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
Front St W.jpg
Front St W.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
Front St NE.jpg
Front St NE.jpg (135.4 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
 #1437247  by Steamfan77

Here is a picture of Willis Ave, the signal bridge, and the area where the sub station will be located.

Andy
Attachments:
Willis Ave NW.jpg
Willis Ave NW.jpg (162.62 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Signal Bridge E.jpg
Signal Bridge E.jpg (144.69 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Sub Station E.jpg
Sub Station E.jpg (104.33 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
 #1440025  by ConstanceR46

Hi. Does anyone know the best model kit for the P72 and P75 series cars? I'm planning a 1970s lirr layout and i'm going to need a ton.
 #1440045  by scopelliti

Try Funaro & Camerlengo. They make: P-72 resin kits. They also make Ping Pong cars. They used to make the MP75 years ago but Steve Funaro dropped the kit since it was a bit of a hack (both sides were the same casting - which is wrong) and it was a kit where the sides, ends and roofs were separate castings (known as a "flat kit"). The P-72 and Ping Pong are one piece bodies (so much easier). BTW if you see Ping pongs on ebay from Images Replicas.. they are F&C kits rebranded.

Note these are "craftsman" kits so a bit of skill is required (not horribly difficult, but certainly not an Athearn Blue Box!) They do make nice models. I'll post a photo of a P-72 I am working on later. BTW hint: to clear the casting flash from the windows: use the BACK of an Exacto knife on the inside of the window to scrape away the flash.

Island Modelworks used to make MP75 resin kits but the mold broke several years ago, and Joe has not redone it. He's also gotten into 3D printed kits (though most are N-gauge). I have one of the MP75 kits and they are (were) a bit "rough". The casting is about 1/8 inch thick so inserting windows is a royal pain. The power train can be adapted from a Proto RDC model. Maybe we can pester him to bring the MP75 back
 #1440409  by scopelliti

Sorry for the delay... here is an F&C P-72 kit in-progress. Still needs seats, window glazing, some end details and, obviously, painting.
 #1440470  by ConstanceR46

No pictures rn but i took delivery of a Athearn Blue Box coach to be converted to a ex-nyc coach. A bit of a stretch but with good details i think it could work well
 #1440477  by Backshophoss

Walters did a decent job with the Heavyweight Parlor cars,as most of them were ex-PRR parlors.
As for the brief Lightweight car era,LIRR grabbed what was made surplus as Class 1 RR passenger services wound down.
That's how the EL Phoebe Snow OBS car landed on the Cannonball. :wink:
 #1440523  by scopelliti

The trucks are IHC #4240 (Black) or #4241 (Silver). Gorgeous trucks though have not yet figured out how to swap the wheelsets for .088" wheels.. They also have pickup wipes for lighting. I happened to grab a silver set for the photo (yeah,needs to be painted).