Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1547165  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: Nice paint scheme, but serious restoration still required! Taken in Quebec, Canada, this is an ALCO F-eh!
What I'm puzzled is that photo on Quebec Central Rwys was taken in Oct. 2004. Pensyfan19 I was responding to said it was stored in Passaic, NJ. So did #616 travel from L.I. to Quebec and back down to Passaic, NJ ?

Also, Quebec Central kept the old LIRR number boards instead of making new ones with a traditional number font.
 #1547768  by DogBert

newkirk wrote:
RGlueck wrote: Nice paint scheme, but serious restoration still required! Taken in Quebec, Canada, this is an ALCO F-eh!
What I'm puzzled is that photo on Quebec Central Rwys was taken in Oct. 2004. Pensyfan19 I was responding to said it was stored in Passaic, NJ. So did #616 travel from L.I. to Quebec and back down to Passaic, NJ ?
Yes. LI --> Quebec --> Passaic.

Last I heard all the Passaic equipment was supposed to be moved offline to someplace a bit safer in March, but then Covid hit. I'd rate it as still in danger of being scrapped. The mayor of Passaic wants the whole dead line removed ASAP.

603 in Scranton is looking very rough, but it is at least in good company (many beat up old alcos on that dead line), on an RR with a good record of restoring these old beasts.

All things considered, it's amazing this many ex LIRR FA's still exist, even if most of them are in some severe need of restoration.
 #1547866  by CNJGeep

615 is not on SEPTA anymore. It went to (I think) DGVR.

622 was cut
 #1547894  by Backshophoss

The FA's were easy conversions to HEP Cabs,retaining the Alco prime mover and main Generator,as Alco engine parts were few and far between,some had been replaced with
Cummings gen-set set up for 600 VDC HEP