Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1013476  by Otto Vondrak

Trying to confirm some facts for a story I'm writing... Does the CTA provide extra service on the Red Line for Cubs games? Stage extra trains to bring fans home? What about the Red and Green Line service to White Sox games? Is there special game day service on the Metra Rock Island line for White Sox games?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-otto-
 #1013499  by metraRI

Hey Otto,

Metra provided extra service last year for White Sox Games. This is the flyer for the service. Usually extra service stays consistent from year to year, but no confirmation has been said for 2012 service.

I'm not sure if CTA has any extra service for either Sox or Cubs games, however usually trains run less than 10 minutes apart anyway.
 #1013518  by JamesT4

Otto Vondrak wrote:Trying to confirm some facts for a story I'm writing... Does the CTA provide extra service on the Red Line for Cubs games? Stage extra trains to bring fans home? What about the Red and Green Line service to White Sox games? Is there special game day service on the Metra Rock Island line for White Sox games?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-otto-

CTA usually runs every 5, 10 to 15 mins, just like metrari said, but depending on the day.

Also with the cubs weekday afternoon games the purple line southbound express trains from Linden to Downtown will make stop at the Sheridan station, and fans on that train either walk a few blocks to the field, or take the red line to Addison which is the next stop.,those trains the moterman will have a service to wrigle field sing which he put on the front chains of the lead car with the cubs logo on it, I ridden it several times coming from Evanston, going to Union Station,on my way home.

CTA Sports info from its site.
 #1013641  by Tadman

I've been at Cubs games where empty southbound trains were staged at Sheridan to pick up passengers at Addison and deposit them on their way south.

There's also a Metra Electric to Bears Game flyer out there somewhere. I had one at one point, but I don't know if they still make them. I'll pass through Randolph Station this afternoon and take a look.