Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1410054  by Rockingham Racer

I'm going to say the Blue Line, which [in the past, at least] started at O'Hare, was a subway in the Loop area, then became elevated and went west out to Harlem Ave.
 #1410083  by CHTT1

After some snooping around on the internet, I find that the Blue Line, from O'Hare International Airport to Des Plaines Avenue in Forest Park, is 26.9 miles long.

The Red Line, from Howard Street to 95th Street, is 23.4 miles.
 #1410404  by GWoodle

In the future this may be the Red Line if CTA gets funds to go south from 95th to 130th,
 #1410437  by Rockingham Racer

GWoodle wrote:In the future this may be the Red Line if CTA gets funds to go south from 95th to 130th,
They've been talking about that for 20 years or so now................
 #1410444  by doepack

Rockingham Racer wrote:
GWoodle wrote:In the future this may be the Red Line if CTA gets funds to go south from 95th to 130th,
They've been talking about that for 20 years or so now................
At the very least. I don't want to date myself, but that talk was around when Reagan was in office, just over a decade after the Dan Ryan line was opened.

Meanwhile, Red currently weighs in at 23.4 miles, according to Wikipedia. Extending it southward to 130th would add about 4 1/2 miles, so if it ever happened, it would indeed supplant Blue as CTA's longest. Just glad I haven't been holding my breath waiting for it to happen all these years...
 #1410498  by The EGE

Using the UPRR right of way (see the map here). Stops in existing dense residential at 103rd, 111th, and Michigan, and a park-and-ride sink at 130th.