Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1292721  by TrainManUPRR

MisterUptempo wrote: If I may be permitted, from the Amtrak Unlimited forum, a quote from user MetraUPWest regarding the DMU testing...
The UPE DMUs were impressive when they were working properly, but all 3 days the transmissions were giving us problems- not shifting into gear when moving from a stop, as well as dropping out of gear when moving. It's FAR too complicated of a system if you ask me.
I am MetraUPWest on the AU forum. I was also the test engineer of the DMUs for all 3 days they were on the Rock. Aside from thr transmission issues Thunder boy is also correct. We stopped at 92nd Street to do a "software update" to the Cummins engines. Something was wrong with the software and caused neither engine to run. They were able to fix the problem in 1002, but were NOT able to fix 1001. I towed the set back to 47th Street with just the one engine running. When we shipped them off to the IHB on Monday 1001's engine still did not work. The transmission issues were really disappointing. They really should've gone with the tried and true electrical traction system like all diesel locomotives have if you ask me.
 #1292758  by justalurker66

TrainManUPRR wrote:
MisterUptempo wrote: I am MetraUPWest on the AU forum. I was also the test engineer of the DMUs for all 3 days they were on the Rock. Aside from thr transmission issues Thunder boy is also correct. We stopped at 92nd Street to do a "software update" to the Cummins engines. Something was wrong with the software and caused neither engine to run. They were able to fix the problem in 1002, but were NOT able to fix 1001. I towed the set back to 47th Street with just the one engine running. When we shipped them off to the IHB on Monday 1001's engine still did not work. The transmission issues were really disappointing. They really should've gone with the tried and true electrical traction system like all diesel locomotives have if you ask me.
That is surprising ... I would expect the DMUs to go back to Rochelle if they were having problems. Perhaps they thought that the problems could be solved just as easily in Toronto or had a delivery deadline to meet.

I am also surprised that they don't have electrical traction. I thought part of the design was the ability to convert these DMUs to EMUs in the future if the Toronto U-P Express was electrified?
 #1292764  by dowlingm

The design was originally for SMART, UPX just bought options. Electrification only came up at that point when the design was already well along.

Edit: test mileage to check Lakeshore Line signals is expected on Sunday.
 #1292765  by MACTRAXX

TM and JL: Interesting post concerning the UPE DMU test...It turns out there were problems with unit #1001...

I had no idea that the test period on METRA was all of three days and I agree that the defective unit should have been
sent back to the carbuilder but noting what had happened these cars may have been on a strict delivery schedule and
would be shopped in Toronto...

These DMUs are equipped to be converted into EMUs in the future - METROLINX has a very ambitious plan to electrify
a substantial portion of GO Transit Rail's routes but note as of the current time no wire installation has been constructed...

MACTRAXX
 #1292766  by dowlingm

The main aim is service during Pan Am Games next year. Electrification was a political decision and as such has slightly more flexible timelines.