Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1253942  by lstone19

The last I knew (as discussed in various topics here), the three Heritage Corridor trains spend their day at the MD Western Ave. yard. As a result, all used to depart CUS on track 28 or 30, the run-through tracks. However, lately the first HC train (917 at 4:50) has been departing from 16. Is that one now being yarded on the south side? And come to think of it, I used to pretty reliably see 919's set (5:25 departure) pulling through as I would cross the Adams Street bridge around 4:50-4:52 most afternoons but I don't think I've seen it in a while (I will need to check the board this afternoon for its track).

OTOH, I do regularly see 921's 3-car set (6:12 departure) either having just left Western Ave. or waiting to pull out of the yard.
 #1254003  by lstone19

lstone19 wrote:And come to think of it, I used to pretty reliably see 919's set (5:25 departure) pulling through as I would cross the Adams Street bridge around 4:50-4:52 most afternoons but I don't think I've seen it in a while (I will need to check the board this afternoon for its track).
Did check today and it was on 16 as well.

So either they're storing those two on the south side now or they bring them through very early and then back into 16.
 #1254045  by doepack

lstone19 wrote:
lstone19 wrote:And come to think of it, I used to pretty reliably see 919's set (5:25 departure) pulling through as I would cross the Adams Street bridge around 4:50-4:52 most afternoons but I don't think I've seen it in a while (I will need to check the board this afternoon for its track).
Did check today and it was on 16 as well.

So either they're storing those two on the south side now or they bring them through very early and then back into 16.

I'm inclined to guess the latter. On a SWS railfan trip last year, I recall seeing what I believe were a couple of HC sets parked just south of CUS between Harrison and Roosevelt next to the Amtrak shops, waiting for a slot to get in. Must have been a day they weren't using the run-through track...
 #1254104  by metraRI

They are still being stored at Western Avenue Yard, however Amtrak no longer wanted them using Track 28/30. In early December they went back to using track 16, requiring them to wait on the south side until the track becomes available.