Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1228522  by Amtrak7

http://www.nictd.com/TempPDF/NICTD_2013 ... Survey.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some interesting stuff, mostly from an urban planning point of view, but also a representative sample of station ridership (not exact numbers, but using survey response rates one could extrapolate station boarding numbers)

More respondents stated that they were coming from South Bend than from Gary Metro and Gary Airport combined. The bulk of ridership comes from East Chicago, Hammond, and Hegeswisch.
 #1228726  by Tadman

That is quite interesting, I remember when Gary was at/near the top of the ridership charts. I also remember there was a time when you rarely saw more than 1-2 cars in South Bend. I took the last westbound on Sunday night and it was four cars.
 #1228762  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote:That is quite interesting, I remember when Gary was at/near the top of the ridership charts. I also remember there was a time when you rarely saw more than 1-2 cars in South Bend. I took the last westbound on Sunday night and it was four cars.
I watched a packed six car train unload at South Bend on Saturday evening. Weekend ridership to South Bend is fairly good. I'm glad that it was included in the survey.

Miller (a neighborhood of Gary) had more survey respondents than Gary Metro. Comparing only Gary Metro and Gary/Chicago Airport total without Miller helps skew the "more passengers from South Bend than from Gary" conclusion. Combined the three Gary stations had more respondents than either Hammond or Hegewisch.

"Respondents" is an important word. This is a survey of 57% of the passengers on trains that were surveyed. It is not a complete count of all passengers for the day or the weekend. But the numbers are still useful.